The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 4:01am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thermal noise floor in oscillators (Read 895 times)
Lieutenant Columbo

Just one more thing

Thermal noise floor in oscillators
Oct 01st, 2002, 9:49pm

I am using SpectreRF to find the phase noise of an oscillator. I see the 1/f3 and 1/f2 regions, but I don't see a white noise floor as I would expect. In fact, I don't know that I have ever seen a white noise floor when simulating oscillators with SpectreRF.
Why is that?

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Thermal noise floor in oscillators
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2002, 10:39pm

In my experience one usually does not see the thermal noise floor because the noise analysis is setup to compute the noise at the resonator. In other words the output of the oscillator is taken at the resonator, and there is no buffer amplifier present. In this case the there is no thermal noise floor because it is shorted out by the resonator. If you add a buffer stage, you will see the thermal noise floor. Designers are use to always seeing the thermal noise floor because high-frequency spectrum analyzers have 50 Ohm inputs, and so there must be a buffer between the resonator and the analyzer.

-Ken

Lieutenant Columbo

Just one more thing

Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2002, 10:43pm

But won't the oscillator have a resistive component in its output impedance? Wouldn't the thermal noise from the resistive component create a noise floor?

Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2002, 10:48pm

Consider a differential LC oscillator. In this case, the output is shunted by a parallel LC resonator. Often the inductor is connected to an ideal voltage source and the capacitor connected to ground. Thus, low frequencies are shorted by the inductor and high frequencies are shorted by the capacitor. If you added a resistance in series with the capacitance to model its finite Q, then you might see a white noise floor, but it will likely be at a very low level, perhaps too low to see. Notice that if you add the resistance in series with the inductance, you would see a noise floor at low frequencies, not at high frequencies.

-Ken

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.