The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 24th, 2024, 6:25am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1/f noise up-conversion in oscillators (Read 4229 times)
Lieutenant Columbo

Just one more thing

1/f noise up-conversion in oscillators
Oct 01st, 2002, 10:13pm

I tried to use SpectreRF to simulate the phase noise of a VCO. Since 1/f noise is included in the device model, due to the nonlinearity of the device (MOSFET and varactor), we are supposed to see a 1/f3 slope in the phase noise below a corner frequency. This frequency is normally very low, but it could be >100kHz if 0.18um CMOS technology is used. However, SpectreRF doesn't show this 1/f upconversion effect. In fact, the results do not change regardless of whether I include 1/f noise in the models or not.

Why can't I see the 1/f noise up-conversion?

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: 1/f noise up-conversion in oscillators
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2002, 10:33pm

There is a very common user-error that causes this problem. SpectreRF's PNoise analysis provides a parameter maxsideband. This parameter specifies the number of noise sidebands (or how much noise folding) to include in the output noise. For reasons that we still don't understand, both official Cadence documentation and training material mistakenly instructed users to set this parameter to zero. Using maxsideband=0 would prevent any frequency conversion effects from being taken into account; only the noise from sources at the analysis frequency would be included in the output. Thus, you would not be able to see the flicker noise up-conversion, and the result would be a significant under-estimation of the total phase noise of the oscillator.

To see the flicker noise that mixes up from low frequencies in the output, you would need to set maxsideband to at least one. However, in order to account for all significant noise folding, we recommend that you not use a value less than the default value of 7. To be sure you are using a high enough value, try increasing it until the noise results stop changing.

I apologize for this confusion and the trouble it has caused you.

-Ken

« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2002, 10:22am by Ken Kundert »  
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.