The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 25th, 2024, 3:06pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Simulating freq. dividers by Spectre (Read 6263 times)
Aigneryu

Simulating freq. dividers by Spectre
Nov 04th, 2002, 1:16am

Dear Ken:

I'm sorry to bother you again. I attempt to use SpectreRF extracting the jitter of an RF ECL divide-by 4/5 prescaler which operates at 4GHz, ie. its output freq is at 1GHz.
I follows the instructions in 9.1.1 of the paper(phase noise+jitter). I first perform PSS analysis, and I use Direct Plot to plot output voltage waveform. It showed a square-like wave with about 1Vpp, and the positive edge comes at 800ps on the plot. Then the slope around the threshold is counted to be 500mV/0.05ns=10GV/s. After that, I performs the PNoise analysis.

In the PNoise setup window, the sweeptype is chosen to be absolute, the "frequency sweep range" (start-stop)is set to be 1 to 1e9, and maxsideband is set to 8. And I Set Noise type to be time domain, fill the "Noise Skip Count" blank with 10e3, check the "Add Specific Points", and add 800ps in the blank. After the PNoise analysis is complete, I use "tnoise" and the function is set to "Integrate Noise". I think it counts for the variance of output noise voltage by the eq: integ(pow(getData("out" ? result "pnoise"))2), and the integration range is 0.5GHz to 1GHz. The square root of the result is 60. And I use eq(51) to compute Jee which is shown to be sqrt(2*60^2)/10G=8.4ns. However, this number doesn't not seem to be reasonable!

In eq(52), the var(nv(tc))=integral of Snv(f, tc) with the upper and lwer limts of +/-(0.5*f0). Since f0=1GHz, I thought at least the output noise voltage spectrum should be obtained first. So I set the PNoise sweep range to be 1 to 1GHz. When it comes to the integral of Snv. I'm not very sure how to integrate Snv with the range (-0.5GHz, +0.5GHz), therefore I considered the lower limit for the absolute type is 1GHz-0.5GHz=0.5GHz. And then I counts the integral of Snv over the range from 0.5GHz to 1GHz, and after that, I double the result to take the 1GHz to 1.5GHz into consideration. But unfortunately, that was totally wrong! ???

I thought I am not adept in Spectre, and I didn't know very well to setup my simulation to fit the environment described in the paper. I thought I misunderstood the meanings of many parameters in my testbench. Could you tell me what goes wrong in my testbench settings?

And, I'm wonder why we should simulate dividers in strobed-noise feature rather than contineous? The arguement is that only the noise around the threshold would dominate. If I simulate my divider as well as a VCO, what would be the difference? If we integrate all the noise over the contineous frequency domain, will the computed phase noise be wrose? ???

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Simulating freq. dividers by Spectre
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2002, 10:59am

Aigneryu,
   Clearly a total noise of 60 V is too high. I believe you are getting tripped up by flicker noise. In my experience, extremely high levels of total noise are usually the result from trying to integrate over the singularity caused by flicker noise.

Remember that the integ function performs piecewise linear interpolation on the noise spectrum before integrating. Assume that flicker noise is present and that you have a flicker noise corner of 100kHz. Also assume that you use 100 points equally spaced between 500MHz and 1GHz.  You are evaluating the divider as a discrete time system, so the flicker noise will be aliased up to 1GHz. When you evaluate the noise at 1GHz you will get a very large value. The next closest point will be at 995MHz, which distant from the flicker noise corner frequency of 1GHz - 100kHz and so will have a low value of noise. The integ function will fit a straight line between these two and compute the area, which will be very large compared to the true noise.

My recomentation is to either disable the flicker noise sources, choose the noise integration limits to exclude the frequencies where flicker noise dominates, or add in additional points to carefully resolve the flicker noise.

I have two other comments. First, a value of maxsidebands=8 seems low. Once you resolve your large error problem, try larger values. Keep increasing maxsidebands (or decreasing T) until the noise result stops changing.

Finally, Snv describes a discrete time noise process, so it is periodic in f0. Integrating from 0 to 1GHz is equivalant to integrating from -500MHz to 500MHz.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Aigneryu

Re: Simulating freq. dividers by Spectre
Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2002, 1:23am

Dear Ken:

Thank you very much for your help. As you said, after I re-adjust my integration range to eliminate the sigularity point at 1GHz. The integrated noise voltage has been down to 1.4mV which resulted in a jitter of 0.14ps. Cheesy

-Aigneryu

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.