The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 25th, 2024, 12:07am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phase noise in frequency doubler (Read 6903 times)
Aigneryu

Phase noise in frequency doubler
Feb 18th, 2003, 10:49pm

Recently I have tested a simple circuit which composed of a VCO and a gilbert cell based frequency doubler. When I use SpectreRF to check the phase noise both of the VCO and doubler output, the phase noise of the doubler is only 4dB larger than the VCO. I thought the multiplying circuit should give a 6dB rise in phase noise. What's the problem with this testfixture?  The phase noise becomes better than ideal one.

View Profile   IP Logged
YZ

Re: Phase noise in frequency doubler
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2003, 1:27pm

Make sure the calculated phase noise from frequency doubler is the total noise divided by the power of the second harmonics, not the first harmonics.  Simply clicking the button in the direct-plot, it will use the power of the first harmonics.

IP Logged
Aigneryu

Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2003, 7:12pm

I've checked my results, but the problem is still not solved.
What I thought is that when the freq. doubling function is from the multiplying of one signal and its 90 degree shifted version, the phase noise of the resultant output is not degraded by 6dB.

Imagine a digital-like signal that is passed a polyphase shifter to generate its quadrature replica, and then the two signals are mixed to generate the freq. doubled signal. The jitter of the original signal should be equal to the variance of 2*period of the doubled signal. Is the corresponding phase noise still degraded by 6dB? or only 3dB??

View Profile   IP Logged
Jitter Man
Community Member

Am I? Or am I so
sane that u just
blew your mind?

Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2003, 11:20am

Is it possible that the output of your oscillator contains a considerable amount of AM noise? While the frequency multiplier acts to double the phase noise at the output of the oscillator, it might also act as a limiter and so suppress the AM noise. In this scenario, the phase noise doubles as it passes through the multiplier, but the total noise does not.

Jitter Man

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Aigneryu

Reply #4 - Mar 6th, 2003, 4:51am

Thanks a lot!

I use time domain pnoise analysis to find the noise around the
trigger threshold, and the calculate the equivalent phase noise from jitter and the results turn to be right.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.