The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 25th, 2024, 8:09am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
switching between voltage/phase domain PLL models (Read 4412 times)
Eugene

switching between voltage/phase domain PLL models
Mar 26th, 2003, 6:10pm

I am simulating PLL phase noise with a VerilogA voltage domain PLL model. (The VCO in a voltage domain PLL outputs an oscillatory voltage. A phase domain VCO model outputs a ramp. In this case, the phase domain VCO model outputs a DC voltage in steady state.) The VerilogA model does different things for different analysis. I use a phase domain model for DC analysis to precharge the loop filter. That way, I don't have to simulate long start-up transients.  I switch between phase and voltage domain models with an "if" statements that depends on the type of analysis being peformed (DC or transient).    For DC analysis, the VCO model generates an output voltage numerically equal to the VCO frequency in MHz, which is around 3700. For transient analysis, the model outputs a much smaller voltage, +-1 volt, representing the true oscillatory output voltage of the VCO. The 3700 volt output during the DC analysis seems to set some sort of dynamic numerical tolerance such that the subsequent transient analysis does not see much of the VCO phase noise. The resulting power spectral density is 20-30 dB too low. If I decrease reltol from 1e-3 to 1e-6, the simulation sees the noise and produces the correct power spectral density.

Does anyone know of a way to fix this problem from within the VerilogA VCO module so I don't have to remember to tighten reltol?

View Profile   IP Logged
Jitter Man
Community Member

Am I? Or am I so
sane that u just
blew your mind?

Re: switching between voltage/phase domain PLL mod
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2003, 7:59am

Eugene,
   You might try scaling the VCO output in DC by 1/1000 to make it more reasonably sized. Alternatively, you could try setting relref=pointlocal. Pointlocal tell the simulator to ignore the values at past times when performing relative tolerance checks.

Jitter Man

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Eugene

Re: switching between voltage/phase domain PLL mod
Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2003, 9:10am

I was hoping for more of a VerilogA oriented solution so I could avoid changing the other models and also not have to remember to change the numerical settings whenever I instantiate this model. If I touch the other models I affect other circuits. As for numerical tolerances, as a general rule I resort to them only as a last result or as a diagnostic step. However, I suspect that a VerilogA solution does not exist. Your scaling suggestion is probably the best way to proceed. I will probably have to add a scaling parameter to my library of pll models to select the frequency units.   Thanks for the help.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.