The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 7:53am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stability for cascaded amplifiers (Read 9501 times)
Thomas_Hansson

Stability for cascaded amplifiers
Apr 02nd, 2003, 9:41pm

Hello
Does anyone have any experience from simulating stability for cascaded RF amplifier stages? The probem is that K-factor (as part of s-parameter analysis) is only valid for one stage. The classical bode diagram approach could be used if the feedback loop could be opened and the loopgain could be estimated. In my case the frequency is around 5GHz and there is a lot of unwanted "parasitic loops" but no regular feedback loop. So far I have used a impulse respone test with varying load using the port-adapter in Cadence/spectre.

Thomas

View Profile   IP Logged
Raccoon

Europe
Re: Stability for cascaded amplifiers
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2003, 7:14am

Hi Thomas,

first of all i am quite new to this, so if my answers are not correct i hope someone will correct them.
Canīt you simulate every stage for itself and measure the K-factor? If you can ensure that every stage is unconditional stable, your whole system should be too, since you have no feedback loops.  You can even simulate together with  the other stages if you cut the line between the two stages and insert a port which represents the input impedance of the second stage as load to the first and another port with the output impedance of the first stage as source for the second stage which also delivers the power that īd be delivered by the first stage. (uh, what a sentence i hope you understand my English)...

Maybe that helps.

Regards, Raccoon

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: Stability for cascaded amplifiers
Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2003, 9:26am

See the following paper.

"The S-probe-a new, cost-effective, 4-gamma method
for evaluating multi-stage amplifier stability".
Wang, K.; Jones, M.; Nelson, S.;
Microwave Symposium Digest, 1992., IEEE MTT-S International , 1-5 Jun 1992
Page(s): 829-832 vol.2

Such analysis is used for PA design which have multiple stages.  :P

Supplement.

In the above paper, author implemented this method using legacy touchstone netlist, so many of you might not be able to understand netlist.
In this netlist, we can calculate four impedances, Zs, Zs11, Zs22, Zload at just one s-para simulation.
Here to realize this calculation, author are using 10 ports for sp-analysis.

But if you can permit two simulations instead of just one,
you can do same calculation more easily.

For example, if you use Spectre of Cadence, insert current source for evaluation of impedance using ac-ana, then using Ocean, switch this current source to evaluate impedance for another side.  

Shocked

« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2003, 10:03pm by pancho_hideboo »  
View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.