The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 3:26pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
power amplifier simulation in SpectreRF (Read 1724 times)
tony

power amplifier simulation in SpectreRF
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:16am

Hello,

Can anyone direct me to any resources (and the Cadence manual is not one, I checked) that can help me design a power amplifer using SiGe HBT ?  I cannot find any tutorials, papers or anything that uses spectre.  Issues are load pull, modellling, and so on

Any help with this is apprecated.

IP Logged
Thomas_Hansson

Re: power amplifier simulation in SpectreRF
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2003, 11:00am

Hello
I know your issues and I guess that e.g. ADS is more used for traditional power amplifier design. However if good models exist for your SiGe HBT amplifier of course also Cadence/spectreRF will do the job. Models of the transistors are of course the most important thing and all standard models today like BSIM 3.X.X exist for most of the processes I have used.

I think you can find some application notes at sourcelink (sourcelink.cadence.com) about how to use portadapter and contours to do load pull for example. I usually use s-parameters analysis for the linear simulations and then pss (periodic steady state) or transient for the non-linear effects like compression...

Regards Thomas

View Profile   IP Logged
tony

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2003, 3:40pm

hi thanks for the reply.

i went over to sourcelink.cadence.com and found the whole thing a bit daunting.
any tips of suggestions on how to find things just a little easier ?

thanks!

IP Logged
Thomas Hansson

Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2003, 10:40am

Hello again
I tried and by some reason it's not working for internet explorer however using Netscape I managed to get in. If I search for "power contours" I get this article that can be quite useful.

Also in the version (IC5.0) there is new function added for power added efficiency and similar unctions typical for power amplifiers. Of cource this can be expressed using the calculator in all other cases.

Thomas

IP Logged
tony

Reply #4 - Apr 17th, 2003, 3:35pm

hello,

thank you for the reply.  would it be possible to obtain your email address so i could possibly email you with my concerns and issues ?  or is it better to post them here ?  by the way, i do not have IC5.0.

thank you again and have a great day!

regards,
tony

IP Logged
Thomas_Hansson

Reply #5 - Apr 22nd, 2003, 4:50am

thomashansson_se@yahoo.se

View Profile   IP Logged
rfic

San Diego, CA
how to check stability of PA in Cadence?
Reply #6 - May 19th, 2003, 11:28am

hi, PA guys

i'm also working on PA design with Cadence. I notice we can use "power contours" & "reflection contours" in "PSS" analysis to simulate PA.

As far as "reflection contours", it's for stability issues of PA. But i'm NOT quite understand how it works, and what's difference between "seperate terminals" & "single terminals", anyone has this expereince or know where i can find more detail information?

thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.