The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 6:30pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Want to plot impedance over frequency domain (Read 4770 times)
Mo

Want to plot impedance over frequency domain
Jul 31st, 2003, 1:19pm

I used smartspice to simulate a circuit. I am wondering how I can get a plot of impedance over the frequency domain.

Do I need to write any scripts in C++/Java/C simulate the circuit hundreds of times and pick each voltage and current to find the corresponding impedance? If so, how? I will really appreciate any ideas or advance. THanks

Mo

IP Logged
Mighty Mouse
Community Member

Here I come to save
the day!

Fantasyland
Re: Want to plot impedance over frequency domain
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2003, 10:08am

Drive the port for which you want the impedance with 1 A current source and perform an AC analysis. Then plot the port voltage. The impedance is V/I, and I is 1, so the magnitude and phase of the voltage will be identical to the magnitude and phase of the port impedance.

- MM -

View Profile   IP Logged
Mo

Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2003, 7:09am

Thanks for your reply.
But the capacitance/resistance/inductance are dependent to the frequency. Can I still do it with ac analysis? To make it clear, the magitude of some of the resistance, capacitance and inductance are a function of frequency. Thanks.

IP Logged
Mighty Mouse
Community Member

Here I come to save
the day!

Fantasyland
Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2003, 2:56pm

Sure, just perform an AC analysis where you sweep the frequency. Try it, it is easy.

- MM -

View Profile   IP Logged
Mo

Reply #4 - Aug 5th, 2003, 6:47am

mmmm......but i am not sure how to make the arbitrary value of resistance work....

say one of the resistance is (freq/x+y)...... How can I let the simulator know that freq is the frequency that it sweeps thru? sorrie, i am a newbie....thanks very much

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.