The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 1:17pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Max power gain for LNA (Read 4018 times)
N Logan

Max power gain for LNA
Feb 03rd, 2004, 2:19pm

If I designed an LNA with the input stage being a classical common source type (N-type) and then using a P-type as a unity gain current buffer.

Now I am not quite sure how or what would be wrong, but if the 1st stage had an excellent voltage gain (i.e. biased to have such a low current since current inversely proportional to Av.

And then for the 2nd stage I biased the P-type current buffer with a larger current.

Now why will this not provide the best power gain? Or will it? thanks

IP Logged
jdeng

Re: Max power gain for LNA
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2004, 4:22pm

I'm not sure whether you have considered the effect of mismatch between first stage and buffer.

View Profile   IP Logged
n.logan

Reply #2 - May 8th, 2004, 1:45pm

Can I put it another way.- If I terminate the output to a large impedence I have a great voltage gain. If I matched it to 50 ohms I don't. How will I buffer the output so that I don't lose gain Av=GmRo

Thanks

IP Logged
kokabanga

Reply #3 - May 20th, 2004, 3:48am

the 1st stage will see a load cap in the gate of the second stage. you need to cleverly tune out this capacitance int he gate of ur second stage CD buffer. and then match the CD buffer to a 50Ohm.

I am doing same thing here and it works

naren
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.