The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 11:31am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Modelling phase delay (Read 4225 times)
Tom Johnson

Modelling phase delay
Apr 21st, 2004, 7:39am

Hi,
Im involved in a synchronizer project and need to model the system. I have 1 clock signal running at XMHz and need to create a phase shifted version of it, where the phase shift varies sinusoidally between +- Ømax.
Basically i need to create a block of code that performs a variable phase shift Ø(t), as shown below and am wondering is this possible?
Thanks in advance
Tom
                               variable delay block

IP Logged
Eugene

Re: Modelling phase delay
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2004, 7:47pm

I see two possibilities but I have never tried them.

(1) There is a "delay" element in VerilogA but I do not know if the delay can be a dynamic variable. If it can, you will have to add thetamax to the sinusoid so that you do not request a negative delay. (No non-causal elements allowed.)

(2) Perhaps you could create a PLL that tracks the XMHz clock. Then add a sinusoidal perturbation to the VCO input. If you get the scale the sinusoidal source correctly, I think the VCO should dither sinusoidally about the XMHz clock as desired.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Modelling phase delay
Reply #2 - May 4th, 2004, 10:04pm

Another alternative is to simply create a new source that produces a signal with a sinusoidally varying phase rather than using a delay block with a sinuoidally varying delay.

Thus, if the first source uses
   V(out1) <+ A*sin(2*`M_PI*fo*$abstime);
you can use
   V(out2) <+ A*sin(2*`M_PI*fo*$abstime + `M_PI*sin(2*`M_PI*f1*$abstim));
to produce the second signal.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.