The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:07am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why noise figure doens't match (Read 6185 times)
tinaxie

Why noise figure doens't match
Apr 29th, 2004, 11:53am

I do Front_End noise simulation, use print noise contribution, I know that RF port noise contribution percent is 50%, that is to say Noise figure equals to 10*log10(1/0.5)=3dB, however ploted noise figure is 5dB, much higher. What's the problem.

When I do LNA noise simulation, ploted noise figure match very well with calculated one according to noise summary.

View Profile   IP Logged
Eugene

Re: Why noise figure doens't match
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2004, 7:46am

What simulator are you using? Spectre? SpectreRF? Are there any mixers in your front end or are you only looking at the LNA? If there are mixers, are they converting to IF or baseband? And how do you know the port accounts for 50% of the noise?

View Profile   IP Logged
tinaxie

Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2004, 9:34am

thanks very much.
I use SpectreRF, The front_end includes LNA and mixer, mixer convert RF signal to high IF. I use print noise contribution to see that RF port contribute 50% of total noise.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2004, 11:29am

How much of the noise at the output is contributed by the load? It is ignored in the NF calculation but not when calculating the percentages in the output nosie.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
tinaxie

Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2004, 2:15pm

Only 0.44% noise is contributed by loading.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #5 - May 1st, 2004, 8:15am

Are you performing the computation using voltages or powers?  Things will not add up right if you use voltages (V/rt(Hz)); you must use powers (V2/Hz).

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Eugene

Reply #6 - May 4th, 2004, 9:05am

If the question is still unresolved, you might try replacing your circuit models with behavioral models (i.e. VerilogA).  Since the behavioral models simulate only what you include, you can surgically remove noise sources to isolate the offending source. The SpectreRF user's manual describes several behavioral models in detail that might serve as a starting point. That chapter also discusses test circuits, including noise test circuits, that might shed some light on the issue.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.