The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 19th, 2024, 4:05am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how to measure phase margin in real chip? (Read 5674 times)
vlado

how to measure phase margin in real chip?
Jun 04th, 2004, 1:10am

Hi, I need to measure phase margin in real chip. It is low drop out regulator and i need to know how stable is that circuit. Open loop measurement isn`t so exact, i thing...
thanx

IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: how to measure phase margin in real chip?
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2004, 4:20am

Do you mean measurement in the lab or simulation? If you mean simulation: Spectre 5.0 has a stability analysis (stb) that keeps the loop closed. If you mean measurement in the lab: take a look at http://www.venable.biz/tr-papers2.html.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
vlado

Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2004, 2:11am

i mean real measurement in lab, SPICE simulation is quit simple, but in real it is problem.

IP Logged
sheldon
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Dec 28th, 2004, 6:08pm

Vlado,

Never measured phase margin on the bench so it is a good question. Have you tried putting in a small square wave, need to avoid slew rate limiting, and looking at the overshoot? You should be able to infer phase margin from small signal overshoot. Don't remeber the formula for conversion, it is in most textbooks, Gray and Meyer and Allen.

Best Regards,

Art Schaldenbrand

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.