The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 2:03am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cascaded Noise Figure (SSB / DSB) (Read 605 times)
ThomasLee

Cascaded Noise Figure (SSB / DSB)
Sep 14th, 2004, 1:14am

Hello everybody!

I donŽt know if this has been discussed before, but I hope you can help me.
I have a general problem with system calculation.
Think of a system with these blocks: LNA with 2dB Noise Figure and 15dB available gain, a mixer with 12 dB Noise Figure (SSB) and e.g. 5 dB gain.
These blocks shall be used for a direct conversion receiver. Here my assumptions, correct me if I am wrong:
For a direct conversion receiver the DSB noise figure is applicable because there is no image. So I subtract 3 dB from 12 dB and I get 9 dB DSB NF for the mixer. With the LNA gain and NF I can calculate the cascaded NF to 2.56 dB.
But if I donŽt subtract the 3dB first (like for SSB), I use 12 dB for the cascaded NF calculation, then I get 3.13 dB total NF.
So far so good. Then I say take this whole block, regard it as a low noise mixer and use it for direct conversion, so I can subtract 3dB and IŽd get a system with 0.13 dB noise figure!!! What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

IP Logged
Eugene

Re: Cascaded Noise Figure (SSB / DSB)
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2004, 8:43pm

Let the signal bandwith at one of the ADCs be "BW". The signal bandwidth at the receiver input is 2*BW. The cascaded noise figure assumes the input noise density is 4kTR. 4kTR is a single-sided density spread over 2*BW on the RF side of the mixers.  However, when you derive the cascade formula and compute the contribution from the baseband legs, you must acknowlegde that the single-sided density of 4kTR is only spread over BW, not 2*BW. The result is a reduction of ONLY the baseband noise by a factor of 2 in the cascade formula, not the noise in the entire formula.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.