The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 22nd, 2024, 11:45pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help with VCO Phase noise analysis with SpectreRF (Read 47 times)
frank F

Help with VCO Phase noise analysis with SpectreRF
Oct 03rd, 2004, 8:59am

Hello,

I am currently simulating the phase noise of a VCO wih cadence spectreRF AA simulation tool. I have read the help files of AA concerning the phase noise simulation of oscillators and cadence's whitepaper "oscnoise.pdf" available on the net.

The problem which I am having is the following:

What exactly is the meaning of a "sideband" (referred by the "maxsidebands" field located in the PNOISE form)?

In the help file,a sideband Ki is defined by the following equation:
f(noisesource)= f(out)+ Ki*fund(pss)
Does this mean that a sideband defines the noise frequencies which are used in the computation of the PN around the desired harmonic of the output?

According to the help files, one should set the maxsideband field to 0 (at least for PN of oscillators). Shouldn't one set the maxsidebands field to a large number as to evaluate the PN due to all sidebands (whatever they are)?

My problem is that my results improve by 40dBs when I shitch from a "maxsidebands" of 0 to a "maxsidebands" of 1 ?
I would like to know which of the the results is the real one.

Any help will be appreciated.
Regards
-Frank

P.S This is msg is posted for the 2nd time, since I can't seem to find the original posting. So if it is doubled somewhhere in this forum and I just can't seem to find it, please ignore this post.

IP Logged
Forum Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Re: Help with VCO Phase noise analysis with Spectr
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2004, 8:50pm

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.