The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 8:00am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Transistor Layout (Read 3661 times)
logan

Transistor Layout
Oct 13th, 2004, 1:18pm

I was told that the NMOS (or PMOS) transistor in my LNA design should be laid in roughly a square shape. I have not been able to find information elsewhere that confirmed this as a fact. Can someone confirm the optimum layout (Narrow/Broad/Square) and why.

Many Thanks

IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Re: Transistor Layout
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2004, 8:26am

Hello Logan,

you have to consider several aspects and decide which are most important to your design.

a) flicker noise is lower for wider W*L, i.e. function of 1/(W*L)
b) matching is proportional to 1/(W*L), but for very narrow or very short devices also to 1/W+1/L
c) with very short channels, you can experience velocity saturation, degrading the transconductance and increasing the channel thermal noise coefficient

I don't know if this fully answers your question...

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
logan

Re: Transistor Layout
Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2004, 2:02pm

thanks paul. I think i know what you are talking about. We did have a visiting professor who told me that it should be square in shape as a rule of thumb. unfortuantely he visits us no more and no in-house experts in this field. so I am just feeling my way around things. I do have though another question which I shall also post at the top of the forum as a new topic

Q. is it not abnormal that I get a difference of 9 dB in losses between an ideal inductor and one from the model library ( i am using 3 metal cmos 0.35u) thanks

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.