The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 2:59am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can Layout Extraction be made nonblocking? (Read 4896 times)
stephen

Can Layout Extraction be made nonblocking?
Jul 24th, 2004, 8:01pm

For big circuits, the layout extraction including all the parasitics takes more than one hour. Can this operation be made non-blocking (i.e., use some background process). Otherwise, I can't do anything else while doing the extraction.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Can Layout Extraction be made nonblocking?
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2004, 2:49pm

You didn't say which verification tool you are using.

If using Assura RCX it isn't blocking, so I assume you're
talking about Diva?

You should be able to use the Remote Diva capability (there's a menu for this on the verify pulldown, I think).
(even if it is to the local host) which would background it (I think). Alternatively you could extract using the ivVerify command in UNIX. In that case you wouldn't be able to have the layout open for edit whilst you are doing the extraction.

I'm saying this from memory, so it may not be exactly right.

In future, please remember to say which tools you are using - extraction can be performed by Diva, Dracula, Assura, Fire and Ice, Hyperextract, to name just the Cadence products - and there are others - without even going into non-Cadence tools. Otherwise it is very difficult to give you the answer you're looking for.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
stephen

Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2004, 3:04pm

I've got another question about Assura. I've always used Diva up to now and I've decided to try Assura. I think we have license for Assura. However, I don't know where to find it or how to launch it. I checked the manual and it says that it should be available from the tools menu of the Virtuoso layout editor. However, I can't find it.

Please help.

[quote author=Andrew Beckett  link=1090724471/0#1 date=1090964953]You didn't say which verification tool you are using.

If using Assura RCX it isn't blocking, so I assume you're
talking about Diva?

You should be able to use the Remote Diva capability (there's a menu for this on the verify pulldown, I think).
(even if it is to the local host) which would background it (I think). Alternatively you could extract using the ivVerify command in UNIX. In that case you wouldn't be able to have the layout open for edit whilst you are doing the extraction.

I'm saying this from memory, so it may not be exactly right.

In future, please remember to say which tools you are using - extraction can be performed by Diva, Dracula, Assura, Fire and Ice, Hyperextract, to name just the Cadence products - and there are others - without even going into non-Cadence tools. Otherwise it is very difficult to give you the answer you're looking for.

Regards,

Andrew.
[/quote]

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2004, 9:56pm

Stephen,

You need to have Assura installed - it's not in the IC stream, but in a separate stream (latest version is Assura 3.1.2), which comes in two flavours - one built for IC5033, and one built for IC446.

Once installed, you need to have the UNIX env var ASSURAHOME set to point to the root of the ASSURA installation.

If you do this, it will then show up on the tools menu; in fact it will show up directly in the layout window as a pulldown.

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.