The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 5:53am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
frequency difference detector (Read 4618 times)
trond

Glasgow, Scotland
frequency difference detector
Jul 16th, 2005, 6:12am

I would like to build a frequency difference detector, using digital components only. It should be able to compare the signal frequency to a reference frequency and detect which frequency is faster. It should then output the difference of the two frequencies.
The signals will go in to a charge pump with a LP filter to obtain the average value.
Furthermore, it should be able to do the comparison within 1 period and also prevent slipping, meaning there should be almost no limitations on how much the reference and signal frequency can be apart for the circuit to work.

Can anyone suggest a circuit, name or paper that might address above issues?

Thanks
Svensl

View Profile   IP Logged
trond

Glasgow, Scotland
Re: frequency difference detector
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2005, 5:54am

I had a look at "Digital Logic Implementation of the Quadricorrelators for Frequency Detector" by Yoon and Lee and implemented it in VerilogA. While the scheme does work I was wondering whether there are other circuits that might permorm better. For example, the resolution of the frequency difference could be a bit better. Could someone suggest another circuit that does frequency difference detection?

Cheers,
sven

View Profile   IP Logged
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2005, 6:03pm

This is a circuits question.. not a modeling question..
jbd

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2005, 2:13pm

Sven,

many phase detectors can perform (within some limits) frequency detection too. It depends whether the fact their output is proportionnal to the phase error is problematic in your case or not. I would suggest you have a look at the collection of papers in "Monolithic Phase Locked Loops and Clock Recovery Circuit", Editor B.Razavi.

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.