The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 18th, 2024, 6:56pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
what could make an integrator? (Read 4469 times)
trond

Glasgow, Scotland
what could make an integrator?
Aug 07th, 2005, 1:18am

I was wondering what circuits might act as a continuous time integrator? I do not mean obvious circuits like RC Integrators Smiley.
For example, we all know a VCO can be modelled as 1/s. An integrated accelerometer was pointed out to me as well.
I am curious what people have come across.
Thanks for any feedback.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: what could make an integrator?
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2005, 5:32am

If you're integrating something, you need a state variable to keep track of the result, don't you?  This means either a capacitor (charge as the state) or an inductor (current as the state).  I guess with MEMS you can integrate to get velocity or position.  If you are doing microfluidics, you can integrate to get total fluid volume.  But if you're really interested in *circuits*, you're pretty much stuck with capacitors and inductors.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
trond

Glasgow, Scotland
Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2005, 7:57am

Thanks for your feedback.
So far the only other thing I have come accross (which is still a circuit, sort of) is a magnetic sensor. There I suppose a magnetometer senses a magnetic field by means of the current it induces in a coil. A voltage is generated which proportional to the rate of change of the flux.
So emf=-d(phi)/dt,  an integrator. Yay.

View Profile   IP Logged
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2005, 10:47am

Doesn't EVERY conservative system have an integrator? 8)

Position is integral of velocity..
Velocity is integral of force/mass
--
same with the angular systems..
---
In plumbing a resevoir (my RO system has one with an air pressure bladder under my sink.. )

Maybe I should write a verilog-A model of that system?
Cheesy
In Solid-State systems.. The Capacitor has been the fundamental (analog) integrator.. as Inductors are harder to design well in silicon..
with Mems - you could use position and a spring to store
the energy..
Jonathan

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.