The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 3:08am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LNA: modeling time-domain noise (Read 4039 times)
Visjnoe

LNA: modeling time-domain noise
Nov 13th, 2005, 8:10am

Hi,

I'm currently modeling an LNA (VHDL-AMS). Everything goes fine, except I don't like my modeling approach to include the effect of noise in time-domain (transient) simulations:

I use a process which generates a 'random' number (sigma equal to sqrt of integrated (white) noise), which is updated after each timestep (using hmin).

Does anyone know of a more elegant way to model this, avoiding the dependency on timestep/hmin?

Kind Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Re: LNA: modeling time-domain noise
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2005, 1:23pm

Hi,

as already mentioned in several posts in the design section, noise simulation in the time domain is arguable. Do you need this type of simulation? Could you replace it by AC-noise simulation?

Best

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2005, 11:40am

Hi Paul,

Yes, I could simply run an AC noise analysis on the LNA.

But I'm modeling an RF receiver signal path and I'd like to run a (behavioral) simulation of the entire signal path including effects like distortion and noise. Since this path includes circuits like mixers, I have to resort to time-domain simulation.

Furthermore, I have to say, that - when you set up the parameters right - the ELDO .noisetran analysis provides accurate results (verified this analysis with several trivial examples which could be predicted by handcalculations).

Kind Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2005, 12:06pm

Hi Peter,

I did not mean that ELDO wasn't accurate. I don't really believe in the efficiency of transient noise simulation (somehow you have to do statistics on the output noise to get standard deviation and so on...).

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.