The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 12:41pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Production testing of high-performance ADCs (Read 4796 times)
vivkr
Community Fellow

Production testing of high-performance ADCs
Jan 03rd, 2006, 11:11pm

Hi,

It is hard enough to evaluate high-performance ADCs in the lab. How does one do the same in production
where the volumes are high? What test instruments and methodologies are used? Could someone enlighten me?
I consider the two cases of oversampled and Nyquist-rate converters.

The typical production tests are carried out on general-purpose testers which are singularly unsuited
to high-performance measurements, and contains this large board which presents extremely long traces.
My thoughts on the matter:

1. Oversampled ADCs:

Although potentially harder to realize the high-accuracy signal sources, it seems to me that this is the easier
kind of converter to test, because one usually measures only frequency-domain parameters such as SNDR,
SFDR etc., which can still be measured relatively quickly by use of an automated setup, and at full speed.
It is also helpful that these converters typically have smaller bandwidths, and are less sensitive to clock
jitter. Therefore, the big issue is to maintain signal integrity which may be done with a good board.

2. Nyquist-rate ADCs:

Here the problem gets harder. Clock jitter is a big issue and the speeds are much higher. Additionally, the
measurement must include parameters such as INL, DNL along with SFDR, SNDR.  What kind of tester would
be used here? Does one use dedicated testers? If so, then which ones would these be and how would one achieve
the balance between sufficient test coverage and minimal test time?

The problem of testing DACs is probably even more complicated by the fact that the measurement must
be made on an analog output signal and hence the problem cannot be handled by typical testers which can
acquire a lot of digital data without much problems but have horrible accuracy if they are called to test, say
an 18-bit audio application. However, one does not need the high-precision analog input now.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Re: Production testing of high-performance ADCs
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2006, 2:30pm

Hi Vivek,

that's an interesting topic. First I would like to discuss some points of disagreement.
a) ATE manufacturers nowadays offer high-performance modules for analog/RF testing. High-performance circuits are probably rarely tested on general purpose testers, although these mixed-signal extensions of course increase the test costs. For this reason, there is some ongoing research on BIST-type techniques for analog blocks (e.g. use DAC and ADC for mutual production test in CODEC circuits). You may find some interesting information on the following web site:
http://www.macs.ece.mcgill.ca/~roberts/ROBERTS/RESEARCH/TEST/Test.html

b) Regarding the test board traces, it is not prohibited to add a limited number of components (buffers, low-noise OPAMPS,...) on the test board in proximity of the DUT to improve the quality of the input signal, respectively the analog read-out.

Now to your converter discussion:
1) I disagree that low-bandwidth oversampled converters are simpler to test. First, INL and DNL may as well be specified for these circuits, which have higher resolution and thus need more samples to be acquired (increased test time). Second, due to the lower bandwidth, settling time is longer and especially in this field "time is money". Finally, for very high resolution converters, it may be impossible to verify the specified SNR on ATE.

2) Regarding clock jitter, I would guess most commercial designs include on-chip clock generation to guarantee a clean sampling clock and do not excessively rely on the external clock (to ease the customers application). As alread mentioned, INL and DNL probably require more test time in OS converters (due to the lower bandwidth) and should be measured in less time for Nyquist converter. These measurements shouldn't be too difficult either, because they are static.
Regarding DACs, analog read-out may indeed be an issue, but hoperfully Roberts' technique using the (usually available) on-chip ADC may help.

Finally, in these kinds of tests, it may be worth thinking about what specifications are guaranteed by design, i.e. more or less manufacturing and device parameter independent, in order to reduce somewhat the number of functional tests to be performed.

Looking forward to further discussion!

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2006, 4:44am

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for the feedback. I do agree with you that in terms of test time, oversampling converters are much more
expensive to test. However, I was thinking more in terms of the difficulty of the test setup.

(1) If testing oversampling ADCs, then given the availability of a sufficiently pure input signal source
(with appropriate filtering), it might be easier to do the test even on a general-purpose tester as
the data read out is digital and can be easily acquired, unless the data rate after decimation is still
quite high, which I imagine is seldom the case. However, I agree that this is time-intensive.

(2) Regarding INL/DNL of oversampling ADCs, how  would one do these tests? Would one use a DC servo loop
or do the tests with sinewave inputs and measure code density. This is of some interest as some oversampling
ADCs may exhibit strong tonal behavior with DC inputs which is not seen with  other inputs.

(3) I need to look through these papers in detail, but I have one doubt about your suggestion of using an ADC-DAC
combination to simplify the test. How does one ensure in this setup that the errors measured are those of the device
under test and not of the complementary device. For instance, how does one ensure that testing a DAC with an ADC
attached does not lead to the ADC errors dominating. It seems that the ADC would then need to be much more accurate
than the DAC in question.

Looking forward to hearing your opinion on these points.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2006, 6:11am

Hi Vivek,

here a couple of additional comments.
(1) For high-resolution converters, building a clean test board and environment to measure the real converter performance can be a head-ache. For this reason, I don't think a good signal generator, even with appropriate filtering, makes this test simple. Ground plane design, reference voltages, biasing etc are very critical. Of course, you can take care of all these factors, but it really isn't that easy.

(2) I believe the use of a DC servo loop would become much too time consuming, although code density test also requires quite some measurement time. The latter requires less hardware overhead though. I believe tonal behavior is design-dependent (and not so much device-parameter dependent) and should be determined during characterization, not during production test. Different noise sources in an ATE environment should add sufficient dither to suppress tonal behavior Wink

(3) In the following reference, the authors explain how they first generate a high-precision ananlog stimulus using parts of the sigma-delta modulator of the DAC, but not its smoothing filter. Based on the assumption that the digital blocks, including the DAC modulator, are initially tested using digital BIST techniques, you can assume this signal to be correct. I'm not sure however in how far the assumption that the noise shaped by the DAC modulator is removed by the ADC's anti-aliasing filter is valid.
http://www.macs.ece.mcgill.ca/~roberts/ROBERTS/PUBLICATIONS/JOURNALS/1995/MADBIS...

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.