The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 18th, 2024, 3:24pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
calculating inductance (Read 4404 times)
mxkdirs

calculating inductance
Feb 26th, 2006, 12:05am

Hello,

I need to check the self resonant frequency of an inductor in my design kit.  What's the best why to do it.  I did an ac analysis with ac voltage source of magnitude 1 and then I did: imag(1/{input current})/(2*pi*freq), meaning I took the imag. part of the input impedance and divided it by omega to get the inductance and then look at what frequency it peaked.  I didn't get the right result doing this way.  One side of inductor was connected to the ac source and the other was grounded.  What's the right why of doing this?  Thanks for the help

-m

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: calculating inductance
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2006, 4:19am

the self resonant frequency is when the imaginary input impedance is zero (ie the L and C cancel/resonate).
I think what you are seeing is an artifact the inductor you are likely to be looking at is infact a lumped model consisting of series L, series R and shunt C. Also likely to be included at each terminal is an RC network to substrate. You can look at the configuration in your netlist/modelfile.
When you connect one side of the indcutor to gnd, you short one of the RC terminal networks to ground, hence the effective capacitance is changed from if you did the measurement differentially. Now which srf you are interested in (single ended or differential) depends on how you intend to use the inductor in your circuit.

View Profile   IP Logged
kokabanga

Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2006, 7:03pm

you need to connect the inductor as a two-port network and then plot the S11. The frequency at which imaginary(S11)=0 will be the self-resonant frequency.

naren
View Profile   IP Logged
mg777

Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2007, 1:34pm

The most tangible signature of resonance is phase changing from +180 deg to -180 deg. This sounds like a scam because +180 and -180 are the same thing, right? But based on the definition of atan in ANSI C it turns out this phase switch is a dramatic manifestation of Imag(s11)=0.

M.G.Rajan
www.eecalc.com

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.