The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 24th, 2024, 9:29pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Phase Noise of ECL Level Divider (Read 30015 times)
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: Phase Noise of ECL Level Divider
Reply #15 - Oct 02nd, 2006, 1:57am

Ken, just to be clear: I absolutely agree with everything you wrote. As far as I can tell, both the normal and the timedomain/strobed pnoise analyses work absolutely correctly for both driven and autonomous circuits. What I am arguing against is the way the pnoise jitter analysis (which is a relatively new and separate analysis type) is currently implemented for the autonomous case. I do not think that this way is very useful and it would have been much better to implement the pnoise jitter analysis for autonomous circuits in just the same way as for driven circuits.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #16 - Oct 2nd, 2006, 8:22am

I understand. I have not seen this newer version yet, but I'll make sure that Cadence reads this thread.

-Ken

Vick

Reply #17 - Oct 6th, 2006, 6:04am

[quote author=timmc6 link=1158788102/0#0 date=1158788102]Hello,

Also, I am not sure if I should use an 'absolute' sweep or 'relative' sweep in PNOISE.  

Hy! I'm still waiting for an answer to this question, relative or absolute? It seems to me that an Absolute Sweeptype is equivalent to a Relative one with Relative Harmonic parameter set to 0. And I think that this is the correct way of predicting the noise near the main output frequency (Is that so?). Then why some people suggests as the correct Relative Harmonic = 1 in the pnoise form of Spectre?
Thanks.

Vick
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #18 - Oct 6th, 2006, 10:17am

If you are using strobing, it does not matter as the noise is periodic in frequency.

-Ken

neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #19 - Jul 5th, 2011, 10:54am

Ken,

When you mention strobed analysis, you mean noisetype = "time-domain" or "jitter" ?

Ken Kundert wrote on Oct 6th, 2006, 10:17am:
If you are using strobing, it does not matter as the noise is periodic in frequency.

-Ken

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #20 - Jul 5th, 2011, 10:31pm

Yes.

neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #21 - Jul 5th, 2011, 10:35pm

Ken,

It is actually a selective question. noisetype = "time domain" or "jitter".

Cheesy

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #22 - Jul 6th, 2011, 12:52am

For pnoise analysis, the timedomain and jitter noisetypes (PM jitter for autonomous circuits) are almost identical. The only difference is how you specify the strobing times. In general, noisetype=pmjitter is more useful because you specify the times by using threshold crossings. The noisetype=timedomain is the older variant, there you specify the times with respect to the result of the pss analysis.

neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #23 - Jul 6th, 2011, 11:02am

Thanks for the comments.

I'm surprised that Cadence's documentation is so weak on this topic. And users have to go beyond their website to understand this basic usage information.

At least, they should provide application notes for VCO, driven circuits and PFD/CP. The step by step setup procedures and result processing.

Frank Wiedmann wrote on Jul 6th, 2011, 12:52am:
For pnoise analysis, the timedomain and jitter noisetypes (PM jitter for autonomous circuits) are almost identical. The only difference is how you specify the strobing times. In general, noisetype=pmjitter is more useful because you specify the times by using threshold crossings. The noisetype=timedomain is the older variant, there you specify the times with respect to the result of the pss analysis.

View Profile   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #24 - Jul 6th, 2011, 11:25am

Removed wrong question.

« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2011, 11:01pm by neoflash »  
View Profile   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #25 - Jul 6th, 2011, 12:01pm

When I was trying to convert the Jee (Sec/Hz) in "PM jitter" mode to phase noise in "source" mode, I found they are nicely offset by 112dBc.

I was using below equation for this conversion:

multiple Jee with term "sqrt( 2*pai*Fo )" and do 20*log10() to get the expected phase noise curve.

However, the calculated from Jee is 112dB lower than phase noise from source mode. I'm not sure which step go wrong.

- Neo

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #26 - Jul 6th, 2011, 3:03pm

Have you carefully read the thread at http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1224609785 ? You will probably find the answers to most of your questions there.

neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #27 - Jul 6th, 2011, 4:25pm

Oops. Correct equation but one term square rooted by mistake.

It turns out that Jee converted will be DSB while source mode is SSB. Jee is 3dB higher.

I think Cadence should follow the same guideline for DSB and SSB for all modes.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.