The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 2:07am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
'Noise Type' setting Pnoise in ADE (Read 10968 times)
Paul Geraedts
Community Member

GIGO

Enschede, Netherlands
'Noise Type' setting Pnoise in ADE
Sep 22nd, 2006, 4:32am

Hi all,

Seem to me unintentional: both the 'modulated' and the 'jitter' setting of 'Noise Type' within ADE, result in the same simulation command in the netlist and the same post-processing options. So it does not seem to matter which one you choose.

Both result in the two Pnoise analyses, of which the second has the negative frequency range of the first and has the noisetype=correlations added. By the way, why is this 'correlations' option removed from ADE (I belief it was PCR658211)?

Most likely, the ADE 'jitter' setting should translate to a Pnoise analysis with noisetype=pmjitter added. A bug?

Paul

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: 'Noise Type' setting Pnoise in ADE
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2007, 3:10am

Paul,

Sorry for the late reply to this.

pmjitter noisetype is for driven circuits only. For autonomous circuits, it should use the two-sweep approach (one correlated) for both jitter and modulated (you're quite right, the analysis is the same for both).

noisetype=correlations was removed from the UI because it was not really of practical use to be used directly by the user (I wasn't aware of anyone using it).

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2007, 6:40am

Andrew, I'm still not convinced that this is the correct way to simulate the jitter of an autonomous circuit, especially if you have additional circuits like buffers or dividers connected to the oscillator. Have you taken a look at http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1158788102;start=all ?

Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2007, 7:47am

Hi Frank,

I'd missed that post in my catchup (there were a lot of posts for me to catch up on, since I've been rather busy the last few months). Having read through it, I tend to agree with you. I think the reason it is done this way (for autonomous jitter) comes from that fact that with tdnoise there was no way with an oscillator to reliably get the noise measurement at the right place in the cycle. With pmjitter, you can specify a threshold, and so the crossing point can be reliably defined.

So, when using the methods described in Ken's phase noise paper, tdnoise was not really a good way to do it - but spectre has moved on since then.

I'll also raise this with R&D.

Regards,

Andrew.

Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2010, 8:11am

According to Andrew Beckett, strobed jitter ("pmjitter") is now also available for autonomous circuits. Quoting from an email I received from him:
Quote:
This is (at last) available in 5.10.41.500.6.141 (and also 6.1.3.500.17 and 6.1.4.500.1) - i.e. the latest hotfix of all supported streams. Now when you select Noise type "jitter" with an oscillator you can choose whether it uses the "FM" approach (the default) or alternatively the "PM" approach - which you specify a threshold crossing.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.