The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 4:36pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Man Behind the Microchip (Read 3759 times)
Croaker

The Man Behind the Microchip
Jan 12th, 2007, 2:05pm

I got this book for Christmas and it's a very good read if you want to know more about Robert Noyce, an early Silicon Valley titan.  My book reviews are generally short...either 'Good' or 'Bad'.  If it gets a 'Good', check it out!  :)

There's also a Silicon Genesis video archive project where they interview lots of early SV guys.  These guys are also detailed in the book Microcosm, which is all about the development of Silicon Valley.
http://silicongenesis.stanford.edu/

View Profile   IP Logged
topquark
Community Member

Thames Valley, UK
Re: The Man Behind the Microchip
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2007, 7:22am

Lots of anecdotes & interesting pieces of info in the interviews..
good read, thanks Croaker!

here's the Nobel lecture of teh late Jack Kilby: good one. check it out:
http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/2000/kilby-lecture.html

View Profile   IP Logged
Croaker

Re: The Man Behind the Microchip
Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2007, 4:33pm

I was never convinced that the invention of the IC was really an invention, least of all a Nobel-prize worthy invention.  It seems like an elementary step to me, and I'm thinking it would be pretty obvious to anyone in the field.  Maybe it required a bit of a shift in thinking due to the discrete nature of the industry at the time.

I bought Andy Grove's Physics of Semiconductors book and would like to get Shockley's textbook...something semiconductors.  It's on Amazon but the old copies are too pricey.  Any new book has better info but sometimes the old books are a purer source and they are written by the experts who actually discovered/developed the field.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.