The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 18th, 2024, 1:08am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phase Margin for RF amp (Read 3353 times)
darin

Phase Margin for RF amp
Jan 14th, 2007, 12:56pm

Hi,

I am working on a high-gain transimpedance amplifier that has a closed-loop bandwidth of about 70MHz. I am wondering what would be the overall best way to measure (on the bench) the phase margin in this system. So far I have 2 methods that I've tried in the past (with much lower frequency systems)

1) Apply small square-wave input and estimate phase margin from overshoot
2) Insert small resistor in FB loop, apply AC signal to this via transformer. Sweep input signal
   up in frequency until voltage on one side of resistor is the same as voltae on the other (Av=1)
   Phase difference between input and output signals is phase margin.

Are there any oher methods I am missing? These are common tests for control systems, but this is my first analog design with BW >  3MHz .

Thanks for any help offered.

-darin

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Phase Margin for RF amp
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2007, 11:36pm

You might look at the work of Middlebrook on this topic (http://www.ardem.com/). He was really into developing ways of measuring loop gain on the bench.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
mg777

Re: Phase Margin for RF amp
Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2007, 11:49am

Note that the phase margin will be sensitive to the termination at the input i.e; whether you're driving with a voltage source (low impedance) or a current source (high impedance). You can easily figure out that the current source case is the one that will cause you pain.

Power supply bypass is another point often overlooked by TIA designers. Make sure you model your off-chip caps correctly. Another recommendation is to use a small amount of local feedback on the 'open loop' amplifier - like current series.

Whatever method you use, ensure you run your sims with layout pex (parasitic extraction). TIA's are particularly sensitive to the feedback capacitance Cf.

M.G.Rajan
www.eecalc.com

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.