The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 3:58am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Absolute maximum ratings (Read 4785 times)
dandelion
Community Member

Absolute maximum ratings
Mar 26th, 2007, 7:26pm

In the commenrcial product datasheet, it always gives the "absolute maximum rating" which describe the risks when the product operate exceeeding this limt.

My question is mainly focused on the definitions on the maximum absolute ratings of the supply voltage and input(output) voltage.

I do understand a too high supply voltage could cause an accelerated wear out of devices and a too high and sustained input voltage could cause permanent damage to ESD structures, etc... "

But I have no idea how to quantitatively define it. E.g., how can I know at what high supply will cause an accelerated wear out of devices? Also, I understand too high and sustained input voltage will cause the permanent damage to ESD structures. But I can not know how high this input voltage will have this risks.

Any guidelines to  quantitatively define it?

Thanks in advance

View Profile   IP Logged
vincent.ma

china
Re: Absolute maximum ratings
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2007, 11:03pm

Hi ,all
I also have the similar question that is in practical simulation(Hspice),how to simulate  Absolute maximum ratings?      

View Profile   IP Logged
krishnap
Community Member

Re: Absolute maximum ratings
Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2007, 11:37pm

One of the factor which decides the maximum ratings is the reliablity limit of the devices.
Usually MOS devices are designed for acheving certain performance criteria like VT, offstate leakage,
current drive etc. Also the normal operating supply voltage is defined based on this.
If the supply  voltage applied is more than the normal value.at certain points reliablity limits of the
device will be reached which causes the dmaage to the device.Some of them are like Gate oxide breakdown,
Avalanche breakdown at the drain side and other short channel effects. Also ESD/IO constraints are to be taken care.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.