The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 18th, 2024, 4:39am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Single electron Tunneling (Read 5105 times)
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Single electron Tunneling
May 30th, 2007, 12:34pm

Today I assisted to a seminar on SET technologies. At this moment they aim is to generate a logic family to perform the same functions as standard boolean logic for tomorrow's computers. Altough not directly related with the main purpose of this forum maybe somebody is curious about which are the possible candidates for substitute CMOS when scaling it's not feasible anymore. The web of the teacher is:http://ce.et.tudelft.nl/~sorin/ and you can find several papers at:http://ce.et.tudelft.nl/nanoc/nanopublications.php.
PS:maybe it's time to take a course of quantum physics just in case.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
krishnap
Community Member

Re: Single electron Tunneling
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2007, 2:39am

This is an interesting topic.
How the SET structure is m manufactured  and the
single electron is controlled for the operation?
Any inputs on this?

View Profile   IP Logged
mg777

Reply #2 - May 31st, 2007, 5:00am

Thanks for the interesting references. As usual, Wikipedia gives the best introduction, apart from providing a context for kT/q = sqrt(kT/C) which caught my attention in an earlier post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_electron_transistor

The low temperature of operation of such devices poses a natural concern, almost laughably so. In my view however, the bigger concern is that the economic return from semiconductors diminishes faster than Moore's Law.

M.G.Rajan

View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #3 - May 31st, 2007, 5:02am

Hi,
It was only a two day seminar but they said:
-It can be manufactured in standard process
-Or with organic moleculas
-Or with nanotube technology
The principle of operation is stochastic, increasing a voltage in a junction over a certain value give a probability over zero that an electron passes the tunnel.
Currently the manufacturing is a little bit complicated because they depend on junction capacitance of aF... to make them work with actual capacitances they must operate a temperatures of few kelvins, but they working towards more advanced techniques. At the moment they have D-Flip Flops,AND,OR,NOR... adders and buffers.
Who knows maybe it will be the future.

didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #4 - May 31st, 2007, 5:03am

Ups, sorry I sent the post before checking Mr.Rajan observation on temperature, I apologize.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.