The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 7:55pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to test a differential input LNA (200 Ohm)? (Read 3579 times)
plasma

How to test a differential input LNA (200 Ohm)?
Jun 20th, 2007, 12:24am

hello, all

I have a differential LNA fabricated, which works with a offchip matching network.
During the simulation phase, I simulated it with a 200-Ohm PORT, and found out the proper matching network.

So what topology should I use for test? How could I test it to find out if it is suitable for the circuit fabricated and packaged?

Thanks for your help~!

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: How to test a differential input LNA (200 Ohm)
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2007, 3:33am

If you would like to test your LNA using the matching components you used in the simulation, then you'll be wanting to drive from a 200 ohm differential souce. This can be achieved using a balun which will transform 50 ohm source to 200 ohm differential using a 1:4 ratio. The balun can be sourced as a single component from usual suppliers (murata, toko etc. do a google search) or can be made from an LC bridge circuit if you only need the transform over a narrow frequency band.

Otherwise, matchup your circuit to 50 ohms directly and do your test, and adjust your simulation to compare the results...

View Profile   IP Logged
mg777

Re: How to test a differential input LNA (200 Ohm)
Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2007, 7:47pm

This isn't an easy problem. You need a good balun model including solder pads, and you also need a good DUT model including the packaging.

Start by making life simple - choose a balun that comes with a good S2P model (including pads), and try a first-order package parasitic model with your LNA. If this result is close to what you're expecting, then you can try a variance analysis. If you're sensitive, then you can go back & focus on accurate models - maybe use a VNA even.

What's the center freq and Q like? What's the target CMRR of the balun? That'll give some idea of the complexity.

M.G.Rajan

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.