The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 20th, 2024, 1:11am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to attract the kids to the analog IC design ? (Read 5786 times)
AnalogAroma
Community Member

Germany
How to attract the kids to the analog IC design ?
Jul 06th, 2007, 11:28am

Hi All !

How  can we attract the kids to the exciting and colorful profession of analog IC design ?
Any idea ? How about writing a novel about the challenging life of an analog IC designer ?

With Regards,

Analog Aroma

View Profile   IP Logged
topquark
Community Member

Thames Valley, UK
Re: How to attract the kids to the analog IC desig
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2007, 8:52am

It can't be done over night, especially when there's hardly any teenager these days into radio-kits 'n stuff.
Many of them won't have any idea that "doing electronics" is as more fun than playing PS/XBOX or just idly browsing the net!

Books won't help much, we need Tv-series or short videos featuring interviews with circuit designers and their motiavtion for the profession.
Personally, I was fascinated by the books by Jim Williams [http://www.amazon.com/Science-Analog-Circuit-Design-Engineers/dp/0750670622/ref=pd_sim_b_1/105-4089368-7286817]
Of course, when I started from scratch back in school with Horowitz 'n Hill's celebrated book "Art of Electronics"- it gave a fresh look at almost any circuit i'd seen in the traditional text book!
AoE continues to inspire me..it's like a bible: you can read it everyday-just pick up a random page 'n there's aalwyas something new to learn

May the tribe grow  ::)

View Profile   IP Logged
Unique

Russian Federation
Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2007, 5:15am

As far as i'm personally is concerned i believe that it depends on the parents. It is parents who have to set an example for their children/ If their children respect them- they will try to take after parents. It is the way, it has happened to me.  My parents are the engineers, and i always want to be an engineer Smiley
But i have to say also that now thare is a lot of hype concerning computer games, and computer games have become a real threat, which prevents kids from learning Sad

View Profile Unique 200831583   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2007, 10:38am

I was a kid in the late 70s and early 80s.  Computer games got all the hype then too, so I learned how to program computers, not how to mess around with solder.  I was a physics undergrad and I got lucky in an internship that I was to help design some instrumentation.  My supervisor gave me Horowitz and Hill, and as they say, the rest is history.  I agree with topquark, Horowitz and Hill is like a bible, and made it so easy to fall in love with analog.  I also recommend the two books by Jim Williams on "The Art and Science of Analog Circuit Design".  I read those while I was still working in a physics lab and helped me make the leap to circuits.  

I don't think we should be pushing kids onto analog, or anything for that matter.  We should be trying to have them discover their analytical minds, get them excited about math and physics, and then let them decide what they are passionate about.  Analog design is hard, and if you don't love it you are going to be mediocre.

Carl

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2007, 7:31am

carlgrace wrote on Aug 15th, 2007, 10:38am:
I was a kid in the late 70s and early 80s.  Computer games got all the hype then too, so I learned how to program computers, not how to mess around with solder.  I was a physics undergrad and I got lucky in an internship that I was to help design some instrumentation.  My supervisor gave me Horowitz and Hill, and as they say, the rest is history.  I agree with topquark, Horowitz and Hill is like a bible, and made it so easy to fall in love with analog.  I also recommend the two books by Jim Williams on "The Art and Science of Analog Circuit Design".  I read those while I was still working in a physics lab and helped me make the leap to circuits.  

I don't think we should be pushing kids onto analog, or anything for that matter.  We should be trying to have them discover their analytical minds, get them excited about math and physics, and then let them decide what they are passionate about.  Analog design is hard, and if you don't love it you are going to be mediocre.

Carl

Agree fully with you Carl on letting the kids find their own way to interesting stuff. Another point I have is the need to be cautious not to
overpraise our own field. After all, the number of jobs in analog design are still relatively few and although it is a relatively good area, the
growth is not that high. Atleast here in switzerland, I hardly know any large groups. And growth is slow as I said. I think the US has a large
demand and also the emerging markets but perhaps one has to look at the market while promoting a field.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.