The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 29th, 2024, 4:20pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
hand calculation (Read 8551 times)
nxing
Community Member

God help the person
who help themselves

China
hand calculation
Aug 22nd, 2007, 5:24pm

Hi everybody,

I am wondering in today's technology (65nm, 45nm). Are you still using the square law equation? how do you guys do the hand calculation?

Regards,

View Profile   IP Logged
nxing
Community Member

God help the person
who help themselves

China
Re: hand calculation
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2007, 9:35am

So, nobody wants to pick up this topic?

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2007, 12:59am

I guess not many people are doing RF/analog design in 65 nm or 45 nm technology......

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2007, 5:04am

Hey Nxing, interesting question! Would be nice to hear other people's opinion.

I am using 65nm for mixed-signal design. The square law model is pretty useless
for hand calculations of operating points etc. However, equations covering deep-submircon
effects are complicated and parameters are often unknown (and even then they might
not be accurate).

Anyway, I think when analyzing a new circuit the square law model is still good enough
to show design trade-offs and give insight how the circuit works (which can never be
achieved just using simulations). Good knowledge about
deep-submircon effects (short-channel, halo pockets etc.) is necessary should the simulation
behave different than expected Smiley. However, to finally determine the transistor dimensions I rely on
simulations.

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #4 - Aug 30th, 2007, 1:05pm

I'm using 65nm for RF design.  The square law equations really aren't all that bad if you extract Kn and Kp from simulation, not calculation.  For operation points, though, you will have to do some dc simulation, like Berti said.

Overall calculations using things like gm and ro will still be quite valid.  The issue is that it will be hard to determine gm and ro from first principles, you will need to simulation transistor iv curves to get them.  One thing to keep in mind is gm*ro is VERY small in 65nm, so you will need more complicated expressions for your circuits for them to be useful.

View Profile   IP Logged
sylak

Silicon valley
Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2007, 4:12pm

The book

CMOS: Circuit Design, Layout, and Simulation by Jacob baker

talks about design in 65nm and less...its states that the square law does not apply and goes on to explain how to get all the necessary info about transistors using certain simulations... however as Berti and carlgrace stated..square law still works for understanding tradeoffs...though you must have sims to correctly arrive at your results... even Kn and Kp got in sims is a ball park and therefore it is an iterative process for 65 and 45nm design..

View Profile   IP Logged
nxing
Community Member

God help the person
who help themselves

China
Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2007, 1:20pm

The reason I raise this question is that in the book: CMOS Cellular Receiver Front-Ends" by Johan Janssens and Michel Steyaert, they give the equation: Ids=KW/L(vgs-Vth)^2*(1+lambda*vds)/(1+theta*(Vgs-Vth)) to include some of the short-channel effect, for example, u0 and the author claimed that they can achieve aobut 2% accuracy till 0.18um technology. I use it to do the simulation at 65nm and it's still quite accurate (<10% error)It's quite interesting.

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #7 - Sep 6th, 2007, 10:56pm

The equation you mention is actually quite well known for short-channel devices. If you get a very good match with simulation, then perhaps
it is because you have access to the required model parameters. If you find a further match between the simulations and the real circuit,
then it would also indicate that your foundry did a good job of modelling the transistors Smiley

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
svenn

Does it have to be
legal?

Germany
Reply #8 - Sep 14th, 2007, 1:16pm

carlgrace wrote on Aug 30th, 2007, 1:05pm:
I'm using 65nm for RF design.  The square law equations really aren't all that bad if you extract Kn and Kp from simulation, not calculation.  For operation points, though, you will have to do some dc simulation, like Berti said.

I would be interested to know more how you extract those parameters from one or more simulations.

--
Svenn

Svenn
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #9 - Sep 27th, 2007, 1:09pm

Square law???? Yikes! Not in many years!

A quick and dirty that works with any flavor of MOS --- run a set of bias curves using the model set. Set W/L at 1 (or 10 or whatever works for you)

Use the biase curve set to configure operating point, and do a geometry scale to get the desired current.

no math, no muss, no fuss...

that one has worked since 1960 or thereabouts, and sub-micron, short channel and all that are seen in the bias curves.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #10 - Oct 3rd, 2007, 12:32pm

**Iwould be interested to know more how you extract those parameters from one or more simulations.

Svenn,

See, for example "BSIM3 Key Parameter Extractions for Efficient Circuit Designs" by Ngarmnil and Sangnak in the ICSE2000 proceedings Nov. 200

Carl

View Profile   IP Logged
simon2

Southampton, United Kingdom.
Reply #11 - Oct 10th, 2007, 7:17am

I just copy the curves published in the design manuals, paste the (screen capture or the) gif into excel, overlay a chart with transparent area then plot the "standard" equations for the I-V curves over it . I use whatever equation gives the best (or nearly good enough) fit, tweaking coefficients until I get a good fit "by eye".  I then invert the equations and "synthesize" approximately correctly sized devices to go into the netlist or schematic for simulation.  Generally these device sizes remain unchanged throughout the rest of the design process (I have only gone to 80nm so far, but the technique seems to hold up still).   I mostly used the "square law" equations with a VA and PB correction; very simple, but algebraically tractable so allowing the inversion mentioned above.  The "extraction" method generally takes a few hours for a new process, but gives a good intuitive feel for circuit behaviour even though the extracted coefficients probably bear almost no relationship to what is formally recognized as B0, Vth0 etc nor to the parameters given in PDK models.

So my comment is yes, hand calculation using the basic square law equations is still done and is still valid, even though you now have to undertake to extract the "behavioural" parameters at the point of operation of interest to you.

Just as an aside, the technique will work for almost any device, provided you choose the correct equations (ie = behavioural modelling?).  You could just as easily create a sub-circuit implementing the simple equations then tweak its parameters to a achieve a good match when compared to a sample device from the PDK, within a simulator test-bench.

Cheers, Simon2.

Simon.Harpham@ieee.org
http://www.SiliconDevices.com
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.