The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 20th, 2024, 5:57am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
mtline with spectre (Read 12630 times)
setb2609

mtline with spectre
Aug 26th, 2007, 4:33am

Hi,

I have modeled with mtline and the LMG in Cadence 5.1 a differential (Zdiff = 100 ohm) microstrip tramsission line (for use in a LVDS-driver testbench). The mtline-model requests a parameter fmax which shold correspond to the max signal frequency. I started just by using 1 GHz.

For evaluation of the model I first have run a SP-analysis on a decent testbench on the mtline with baluns with termination on each side and a port on one side in order to calculate S11 for differential signals. The frequency range for the SP-analysis is 1 to 10 GHz ...

For fmax = 1GHz the result looks "reasonable" - but when I change fmax to 10 GHz then things get wired and I get already strong reflections at frequencies below 100 MHz.

I'm a little bit puzzled beacuse in my understanding a higher fmax shouldn't  change the S-parameter-curve over frequency much - am I wrong ???

I used the lossless models and also the lossy, wide band model - besides "microstrip" I also tried "sublossline" - the only reasonable s-parameter simulation was with fmax = 1GHz - but I have to admit - I don't relay trust it ...

I hope someone can help me out to run transmission line simulations under spectre/cadence as good as with the w-line-model under hspice (where no "fmax" parameter to my nowledge is needed ...

If someone likes to see more of what I have "done" - let me know - and I'll post it ...

View Profile   IP Logged
setb2609

Re: mtline with spectre
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2007, 8:56am

furtheron it seems to that the value of zeven in the lmg is clearly wrong (1/2 the value) and I fugured out that impedance matching of the line that I simulate varies form the expected 50 ohm impedance by 40% - as impedance matchig takes place at 70 ohm - realy scary ...

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2007, 10:45pm

Are you providing RLGC matrices to mtline, or using a lumped model?

In recent versions of spectre (MMSIM61, MMSIM62), mtline supports the physical parameters directly on the component and the solver is run from spectre, rather than having to run lmg first.

I think you probably need to post your example, and I'll take a look.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
setb2609

Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2007, 7:40am

OK - one point I have to point out is that I'm using 5.10.41 - this is the version the university has because of their  agreement with europractice  - can't realy  say right now, when they are upgrading ...

Are there any known flaws which might be wiped out  meanwhile  ?

How is posting of examples handled  here - what would you like to have ?   Simfiles - just the spec  ?

RIght now I'm using LMG to provide the subcircuit an d the RLGC in the  .dat-file. In my version there is an option in the properties called "use lmg subckt" and a field "LMG subcircuit file" for  the link to the subcircuit - in this way  I assume spectre  gets over the scs-file the RLGC from .dat-file . Was  that "clear" enough  ;)

View Profile   IP Logged
setb2609

Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2007, 7:48am

btw. are there any restriction towards the possible simulation modes with the mtline model - are there any restrictions towards transient simulation ?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.