The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 29th, 2024, 4:19pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Req. Reference: +/-1% accurate On-Chip Oscillator (Read 5078 times)
packiaraj

India
Req. Reference: +/-1% accurate On-Chip Oscillator
Aug 27th, 2007, 1:55am

Hi,
We need accurate on-chip oscillator for "charge measurement". The frequency of oscillator is ~2MHz. But the frequency variation over PVT should be limited to +/- 1%.   Shocked
Is it possible to realize such an on-chip oscillator?  ::) Any material / reference / previous work in thesis form would be really appreciated. Cool
Note: Use of Crystal is not allowed due to pin-count reason.
Process: 0.35um; Supply Current: 50 uA. Trimming is allowed [Obviously the no. of trim bits is limited.]

Thanks,
Packiaraj.V.

View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Re: Req. Reference: +/-1% accurate On-Chip Oscilla
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2007, 11:18am

Dear,

such an accurate low-frequency oscillator can be constructed.

You could adopt the so-called RC-oscillator topology and counteract PVT variations as follows:

1. Use a trimmable capacitor bank to counteract the effect of process variations (on the frequency)
2. Use a combined resistor with cancelling positive/negative temperature coefficients to counteract the effect of temperature variations (on the frequency)
3. Use an LDO to counteract voltage variations (most likely that even without the LDO you are within the 1% accuracy after steps 1 and 2)

Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
packiaraj

India
Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2007, 10:44pm

Thanks for your suggestions, Peter. Huh
Does the +Ve/-Ve Temp  coefficients of "R" cancel perfectly that we don't need Trimming [To counter-act R variation over Temperature] to achieve +/1% accuracy? [Though How Trimming for Temperature variations is done is a question  :( ]. This +/-1% accuracy should be met over 6-sigma [Process and  Mismatch variation]. [The Stigma of Six-Sigma  :P]

Please see the Doc. attached for Figure taken from "A Temperature Compensated Fully Trimmable On-Chip IC Oscillator" by A. Olmos. The idea is similar.  
i.e., Combine IPTAT+ICTAT=IREF and use Trimming to control IREF Vs Temp variations. And use only C [No Trmming for C , As It would call for huge area.]. Let the Temp Trimmed Current be IREF_T.
However the on-chip variation of C is counter-acted by changing the current "IREF_T" using another magnitude trimming. Let this current be IREF_TM  

dV/dt=IREF_TM/C
1/dt=IREF_TM/[C*dV]=2*Frequency

Here dV is the Trimmed BandGap Voltage used for comparing the voltage across a Capacitor. This Capacitor is charged and discharged using IREF_TM during the alternate phases.
But, as you could see, this involves 2 levels of Trimming. I am curious to know If there would be a better method to realize Low-Frequency, Highly accurate OSC? [Better architecture with not-so-much of Trimming]

Thanks,
Packiaraj.V.

View Profile   IP Logged
packiaraj

India
Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2007, 11:13pm

Sorry, I could not attach the Image. I give here the IEEE  Xplore link of the Paper:

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=1232826

Thanks,
Packiaraj.V.

View Profile   IP Logged
MonteCarlo

Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2007, 3:40am

Packiaraj.V,

I would use the 2 stage trimming that you suggest because your spec is so extreme. Just beware that with such a high level of accuracy you are subject to other errors such as:

package shift
measurment error

To avoid package shift, you should use a post-package trim method.
MonteCarlo

View Profile   IP Logged
packiaraj

India
Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:33am

Thanks for your suggestions MonteCarlo.
BTW, Can you site reference(s) to "Post Package Trim" ?

Thanks,
Packiaraj.V.

View Profile   IP Logged
MonteCarlo

Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2007, 3:29pm

No references I'm sorry.

What I mean by post-package is that you can program the trim after packaging. Some trim technologies are more suited to programing at wafer level.

-Monte

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.