The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 29th, 2024, 4:23pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
simulating transistor fT (Read 3816 times)
vivkr
Community Fellow

simulating transistor fT
Sep 17th, 2007, 11:59pm

Hi,

I am wondering how one could extract the "fT" parameter from DC analysis. Normally, one can use OP in the Calculator
in Spectre and get "gm", "gmoverid" etc., but not "fT". Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Re: simulating transistor fT
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2007, 2:23am

Hi,
I think that it must be done via formula extracted from the parameters:

ωT=gm/Cgs

Hope it helps,

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2007, 2:37am

Hi,

The problem is getting the correct value of CGS. I don't think that is easy to get it directly from the
calculator using the OP option when using Spectre with the BSIM3 model. How do you do it?

The CGS parameter in the list is not the actual CGS of the transistor when using BSIM3.

Thanks
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2007, 6:03am

Hi Vivek,
Usually I use only aproximations and then I do the fine tunning, if you want to do the correct calculation of ft I think you should go to the definition:frequency at which current gain it's zero, I did this simulation in the past using the parameter h21 but not in spectre(I used ATLAS for modelling a device) but if I remeber right sp analysis of spectreRF calculates hybrid parameters as well(I cannot check right now because our license server is down...), another possibility I suppose will be to calculate the Cgs using calculation taking into account gate channel and overlap capacitances but I then you should dig into geometrical parameters of transistor that I don't know if can be accesed directly using op of dc analysis.
Hope it helps,

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.