The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 29th, 2024, 4:19pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
pass-band attenuation in active filter (Read 6244 times)
James Bond
Community Member

pass-band attenuation in active filter
Sep 24th, 2007, 12:50pm

Hi, guys,

I have designed a analog active filter. The specification is a 3order chebyshev with 0.1db ripple in the passband, the cutoff freq is fc.  The R, C values are denormalized from the chebyshev datasheet, and I use ideal R, C component from the analoglib. I also have a very stable and high gain fully balanced opamp at the desired frequency.

But the result is not that good, in the simulation, I found I have about the 6dB attenuation in the pass band, and I can't see any ripple in the pass band. Does any body have any idea about the reason, please give me some suggestions. Thank you very much.

Best Regards
James

View Profile   IP Logged
Stefan

Re: pass-band attenuation in active filter
Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2007, 2:19pm

How did you simulate it ?
Did you check the ports for corresponding impedance, so that you have a correct input ?

View Profile 16731287   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2007, 11:26pm

Agree fully with Stefan. It seems like it is either an impedance issue. If you are using a ladder filter, then this problem arises too,
for the same reason.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
James Bond
Community Member

Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2007, 12:20pm

Hi, guys

Thanks for the kindly help.

I have ideal vsin source from analoglib. how come the impedance of the port ?

James

View Profile   IP Logged
James Bond
Community Member

Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2007, 12:35pm

Hi,

continue:

My load is 2pF capactor, all the R in the schematic has the same values(denomarlized), The C values are from chebyshev active 3order low pass filter datasheet, C1, C2, C3. I use leapfrog architecture.

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2007, 4:16am

Hi James,

The passband gain of a ladder filter designed directly as per the textbook recipe should always
be -6 dB. This is owing to the fact that the ladder filter is generally designed as a doubly-terminated
reactance network. Essentially, you will have an Rin and an Rload in the network, and if you have
normalized them to the same value, you can see for yourself that the voltage gain cannot exceed
1/2 in the passband.

As for your not seeing any ripple in the passband, I would have been happier if there was none. Probably has
to do with the choice of your filter type and coefficients.

In order to increase the gain, you will need to either add an explicit gain stage, or make some modifications,
typically adding some extra branches etc. However, I am not so familiar with ladder filters as to be able to
tell you exactly what should be done, and what the impact on the final circuit performance will be.

Perhaps someone else can.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
James Bond
Community Member

Reply #6 - Sep 26th, 2007, 9:03am

HI,

I think you are right. I simulate a ladder low pass filter with all ideal components, I got 6db attenuation in the passband. The schematic is the same as mentioned in the book, but I am still confusing with this 6dB attenuation. Could you explain it according to the curve below, thank you very much.

fr.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
James Bond
Community Member

Reply #7 - Sep 26th, 2007, 9:05am

Hi,

this is the schematic, the attenuation in the above pic in the passband is -6, you can hardly see it . Sorry for that.

sc.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #8 - Sep 26th, 2007, 10:55am

Hi,
Consider putting a test signal well below the pole of the filter,for example a DC signal. For a DC signal the inductors will be like a short and the capacitors like and open, then your equivalent circuit is just a voltage divider, if input and output resistance are the same, like Vivek said ,you will have a gain of 0.5 i.e. -6dB.
Hope it helps,

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
James Bond
Community Member

Reply #9 - Sep 26th, 2007, 12:04pm

Hi,

Yes, you are right, I also worked it out after I post it.  

If this circuit is transformed to active filter with leapfrog technique, it has the same attenuation. Then there are two ways to compensate the attenuation. First is to add a new linear stage with 6db gain, the other way is to adjust the resistor values in the filter, if so, then I need transfunction of this n order filter. Does anyone know active leapfrog filter n order transfunction H(s) ?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.