The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 29th, 2024, 4:24pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ON chip LDO (Read 147 times)
rf_jay

ON chip LDO
Sep 25th, 2007, 8:13am

Hi,

need help in LDO design.

The load is onchip.
When i use a off chip big cap(1uF), the load regulation suffers because of bond pad inductance coming inbetween the load and Cap.

Having a cap onchip more than 300pF is difficult. the load regulation transient still suffers with big spikes. also i need high bandwidth opamp and stability is still an issue.

Please key in your inputs in this regard.

Thanks in advance.

View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Re: ON chip LDO
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2007, 11:41am

rf_jay,

A couple of thoughts that might help.

You can compensate the load regulation issues by adding a zero to your feedback loop.  If you put a small value resistor between the output of your op amp and the bondpad, you may find improved transient response.

You can try multiple bondpads in parallel to reduce the series inductance.

You can try to partition the total load cap between a small on-chip local supply, and an off-chip low impedance point.  (you may need a buffer between these).

Good luck,
Carl

View Profile   IP Logged
packiaraj

India
Re: ON chip LDO
Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2007, 12:02am

I found a TAMU Thesis that talks about No-External-Cap LDO interesting to read.
Not sure If you had already seen this and how far it's useful for your problem.  ;)

Give a read. Link is :
http://txspace.tamu.edu/bitstream/1969.1/3275/1/etd-tamu-2005C-ELEN-Milliken.pdf...

Thanks,
Packiaraj.V.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.