The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 29th, 2024, 2:21pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
large input swing for fully differential opamp (Read 4420 times)
James Bond
Community Member

large input swing for fully differential opamp
Oct 15th, 2007, 11:05am

Hi, all

I need to design a fully differential amplifier to handle the large input swing up to 1Vpp differential signal, my supply is 1.2V and ground. Can anybody give me some suggestion about this ? such as how to design the input stage.

Thank you very much.
james

View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Re: large input swing for fully differential opamp
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2007, 10:31am

You probably want to use complementary input structure, that is a PMOS diff pair in parallel with an NMOS diff pair.  There are a lot of circuits in the JSSC that use this approach.

Carl

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2007, 11:12am

A simple differential pair or either N or P type could suffice given a suitably well defined and limited input common-mode level. Then it might not be necessary to implement a complementary input.

But in the case N and P are required, this paper represents a fair survey of toplogies for rail-to-rail input stages.

http://amesp02.tamu.edu/~sanchez/lvtutorial-2000.pdf
section 4.2/table 3

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2007, 2:39am

HI James,

What exactly are you trying to do with your opamp? Also, when you say 1Vpp, does it mean that (Vip-Vim) varies from -0.5V to +0.5V,
or do you mean that it varies from -1.0V to +1.0V? As per your statement, I would imagine it to be the former, in which case each signal swings
about +/- 0.25 V around a fixed input common-mode. This can be managed without complementary structures and it is probably unwise to use
complementary structures unless there is no way out.

Secondly, is this signal swing only at the input of the overall feedback amplifier or really at the inputs of the opamp? If the former, then you have some
sort of resistive or other element interposing between the inputs of the overall amp, and the inputs of the opamp.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
James Bond
Community Member

Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2007, 1:14am

Hi,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have built the opamp with only pmos input pair.  the input signal is -0.5V to 0.5V input signal , supply is 1.2V. The thd is less than 0.1%. At some time the input pair goes to the weak inversion, but it still can handle the input signal quite well, I also got some suggestions about adding a complementary pair. it's a good manual. Thank you so much.

Another question:

Does anybody how to build a model for the fully differential op with ideal component or veriloga code ? I want to evaluate the performace for it, e.g bandwidth, gain affect. Please instruct me again.

BR

Best Regards
james

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.