The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 7:39pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Any software for viewing  old design data ? (Read 1591 times)
AnalogAroma
Community Member

Germany
Any software for viewing  old design data ?
Nov 05th, 2007, 11:26am

H Everybody,

Nowadays if I want to see my   design works in old chip design projects, I need to install the project-specific design kit again as Cadence does not
support multiple processes at the same time.   This is quite annoying and  on several occasions I need to re-invent the wheel .

Do you know any software that will store all the design data of a finished project  and enable us to look into old designs easily ?

With Regards,

Analog Aroma

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Re: Any software for viewing  old design data
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2007, 12:58pm

Hi,

You'll have to back up your Cadence version with the design kit and the design data... A good alternative is called "documentation"  ;)

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
smcbutler

Bay Area
Re: Any software for viewing  old design data ?
Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2008, 10:39pm

AnalogAroma wrote on Nov 5th, 2007, 11:26am:
H Everybody,

Nowadays if I want to see my   design works in old chip design projects, I need to install the project-specific design kit again as Cadence does not
support multiple processes at the same time.   This is quite annoying and  on several occasions I need to re-invent the wheel .

Do you know any software that will store all the design data of a finished project  and enable us to look into old designs easily ?

With Regards,

Analog Aroma

Perhaps you need a design data management tool? One tool optimized for
analog designers is VersIC by MethodICs.

This is tightly integrated into Cadence DFII, Virtuoso, Composer, and ADE. It
uses as its backend database a choice of Perforce or Subversion.

www.methodics-eda.com

View Profile   IP Logged
Christoph M

Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2008, 3:57pm

Paul wrote on Dec 3rd, 2007, 12:58pm:
Hi,

You'll have to back up your Cadence version with the design kit and the design data... A good alternative is called "documentation"  ;)

Paul

Now what do you do if you can get access to the Cadence design (DFWII) files, but don't own Cadence?
Is there any way to get access to Cadence on a temporary basis, mainly just to look at old designs and export some documentation (e.g., schematic printouts)?
How painful (both in terms of setting up design kits and $$$) would that be?

Christoph M

View Profile   IP Logged
achim.graupner
Community Member

Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2008, 10:41pm

My dear,

if you just want so view schematics it might be helpful to copy the Primitive-Library into the working directory and remove everything from it besides the symbol views (using command line, especially care any .il-files, they may interfere with the PDK).
Everything else is complicated indeed.

Achim

Achim Graupner
ZMD AG, Dresden, Silicon Saxony, Germany
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.