The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 29th, 2024, 6:22am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Condition of oscillation (Read 4881 times)
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Condition of oscillation
May 28th, 2008, 1:33am

Hello to everybody,

I wonder if there is a criterion for harmonic oscillation of a circuit with feedback which is sufficient. We all know that the Barkhausen formula is only a necessary condition for a circuit to oscillate.
(Counter example: A notch filter connected with a positive amplifier in a loop can have a loop gain AL=1 and is not able to produce sustained oscillations).
I donīt ask for any conditions/requirements for safely starting oscillations (loop gain AL >1). Thatīs another subject.
My question is simply: Is there any mathematical formulation of a condition to be met – in addition to the known requirement AL=1 – which can be considered as a sufficient condition for sustained oscillation ? Up to now, I didnīt see any formulas or something like this in textbooks or papers.

buddypoor

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
Eugene

Re: Condition of oscillation
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2008, 6:26pm

For sustained oscillation, I think you also need a nonlinearity in the loop that reduces the gain as the signal amplitude increases. Otherwise, unless you place the closed loop poles EXACTLY on the imaginary axis (which is impossible in real circuits), the oscillations either die out or grow without bound.

You might try reading up on describing functions. They do not cover all possible unstable nonlinear systems but they may give you some insight into the sufficient conditions you seek.

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #2 - May 29th, 2008, 1:22am

Hi Eugene !
Thanks for your reply.
However, your answer doesnīt meet exactly the subject of my question. Most probably I have missed to express myself clearly.

Quote: For sustained oscillation, I think you also need a nonlinearity in the loop that reduces the gain as the signal amplitude increases.  

I am aware of this, and in my inquiry I have tried to exclude this additional requirement from the formulation of the problem. I know that such a nonlinearity always is necesssary ! Ohh no ! There is one exception: the double-integrator loop, I have discussed this specific problem in this forum some weeks ago. The topic (theory of harmonic oscillators) has startet on Jan 15th. I fight for the fact, that this circuit does not need any nonlinearity for producing sinusoidal signals. But thatīs another point.

Quote: You might try reading up on describing functions. They do not cover all possible unstable nonlinear systems but they may give you some insight into the sufficient conditions you seek.

No, I donīt think that describing functions can answer the question.
The reason: (1) The DF rely on non-linearities and cannot give cause to start oscillation,
(2) I think, the DF principle requires a lowpass behaviour of the frequency dependent part of the circuit.  There are enough oscillator counter examples without lowpass characteristics (notch and allpass oscillators).
Thanks again.
Buddypoor

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #3 - May 29th, 2008, 5:27am

Sorry, but I have to correct myself just for clarification - as far as the double-integrator loop is concerned. I did express myself in a misleading way:
I know that such a nonlinearity always is necesssary ! Ohh no ! There is one exception: the double-integrator loop, I have discussed this specific problem in this forum some weeks ago. The topic (theory of harmonic oscillators) has startet on Jan 15th. I fight for the fact, that this circuit does not need any nonlinearity for producing sinusoidal signals. But thatīs another point.

In fact, the double-integrate oscillator needs a non-linearity caused by the limited supply voltage. However, it comes not into saturation ! As soon as a very small amount of clipping occurs the created harmonics of the fundamental frequency cannot sustain. Therefore, the signal returns to the fundamental frequency only.    

However, my basic question remains as it was: Is there an oscillation condition which is sufficient ???

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #4 - Jul 13th, 2008, 8:13am

However, my basic question remains as it was: Is there an oscillation condition which is sufficient ???

I like to repeat my question to all analog oriented members:

Does really nobody has heard about a book or another contribution containing a formula or something else which can serve as a sufficient condition for an electronic circuit to produce sustained sinusoidal oscillations ? This would be surprising for my opinion.
Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Jul 15th, 2008, 5:38pm

This is essentially a control systems problem. Additive gain and phase around a loop eseentially. Not really sure what the big deal is???

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #6 - Jul 16th, 2008, 12:26am

loose-electron wrote on Jul 15th, 2008, 5:38pm:
This is essentially a control systems problem. Additive gain and phase around a loop eseentially. Not really sure what the big deal is???

Of course, it is a "control system problem". Sorry, but I donīt understand the meaning of the next two sentences.  

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.