The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 29th, 2024, 6:20am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Constant Gm biasing stability issues (Read 6063 times)
julian2007

Constant Gm biasing stability issues
Jun 16th, 2008, 8:49pm

Hi, there:
    I am designing a constant gm biasing block. stable issue is analyzed using Spectre's STB analysis and a voltage source is emploied as the probe component. Below are the schematic and simulation result.
   Now here are my questions
   1.  Why the phase of the loop gain at low frequencies is 180 deg instead of -180 deg? Is this because T(return ratio) = -Vo/Vx?
   2.  If I want to improve the stability, what should I do? adding Miller cap? then which branch should I choose to hook up the comcap?
   3.  Any analytical papers with regard to the stability issue of this circuit?

Thanks In Advance
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2008, 12:14am by julian2007 »  

constant_gm_IV.png
View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: Constant Gm biasing stability issues
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2008, 3:02am

Hi Julian2007,

1. I think 180 deg and -180 deg are equal. It is easy to use 180 deg for plot the Bode plot.
2. The opamp is not necessary for a constant-Gm current source. If the opamp is removed, the resistor is an inherited source degenration, which will ensure the stability.

Best regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2008, 7:28pm

Hi Julian,

Please be aware of the fact that you have two loops in this circuit. One of those is a positive feedback loop, while the other one is a negative feedback one. In order to have a stable system the negative feedback loop has to have a larger gain than the positive one. It is ok to analyze the stability of both loops at the same time by "breaking" the loop where you are placing the probe, since both loops are sharing such node.
The opamp BW should be larger than the pole of the bandgap circuit "without" the opamp in order to make it stable. So one option is to increase as much as possible the GBW of your opamp (not an easy task).

Hope this helps
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
vence

Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2008, 11:06pm

I think this paper maybe help.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.