The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 12:28am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LVDS TX with pre-emphasis (Read 8913 times)
nowicq

South Korea
LVDS TX with pre-emphasis
Jul 01st, 2008, 10:02pm

Hi all.

I have a question about the pre-emphasis of LVDS TX.

If the data rate is about 2Gbps, is it needed to use the pre-emphasis?

How about using large current (more than 4mA) without pre-emphasis?

I searched some papers about the pre-emphasis but I could not find any good examples.

If you have some advice on the pre-emphasis, please let me know.

Thank you.

DeLiMiNd
View Profile nowicq   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: LVDS TX with pre-emphasis
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:56am

The intention of a "pre emphasis" system is to get, at the receiver, something that approximates a square wave.

Model the system with a backplane/cable/interconnect model and you will get degenration of the transient edges.

If you do a system without the PE, and just throw more current into the cable, the signal overall gets bigger but waveshape remains the same.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
email_gz

gaoz.mail@gmail.com
Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2008, 11:29pm

Hello:

"If the data rate is about 2Gbps, is it needed to use the pre-emphasis?"
 The decision of using equalizer or not lies on the channel conditions around the communication bandwidth. If the channel loss is much more great than 3dB or there is significant ISI, then the channel equalizer is necessary.    

"How about using large current (more than 4mA) without pre-emphasis?"

Big transmitter signal can also generate big ISI, so you still need equalizers if the channel isn't good enough.

"I searched some papers about the pre-emphasis but I could not find any good examples."
    paper:  
               W. J. Dally and J. Poulton, “Transmitter equalization for 4Gb/s. signaling,”
               JSSC and ISSCC, many,many......
    theory book:    
       W. J. Dally, J. W. Poulton, Digital Systems Engineering, Cambridge University Press, 1998.
      J. G. Proakis, Digital Communications, 4th Edition, McGraw-Hill, 2001.
"If you have some advice on the pre-emphasis, please let me know."
1:  careful measure or model you physical channel.
2: make you pre-emphasis programable.

View Profile email_gz email_gz   IP Logged
smarty
Community Member

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2008, 10:04am

Hi,
 The need for using pre-emphasis in driver depends on the signal loss which is going to occur in a transmission media, as pointed out by loose-electron

Ideally you want the signal transmitted to be recieved at the reciever end and not die out, in that case receiver will fail to sense that signal.

Increasing just current is not just going to improve the signal loss, but it is going to increase the area and power.

Efffectively to check your LVDS performance u should model all the components in the path like the package, board trace, connector and so to get the real feel of your driver design.

Also, these techniques are added in design to improve the ISI effect  so just by doing a 1010 or a 1100 pattern will not show the effect. You might need to simulate using a PRBS pattern ( example: long sequence of 1's followed by a single 0 (111110111010000010000) to test the effect. (correct me if my understanding is different)

Thanks,
SBR

View Profile smarty smarty   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2008, 12:03pm

In addition to the above -

The PCB trace needs to be a distibuted network with multiple RLC elements. Do not lump them all togther for the response will be different.

Data encoding for these devices can be in a run length limited (RLL)fashion (8B/10B is commonly used in these systems) or NRZ data (n run length limitations)

With the above, the patterns to test the system need to include a bunch of different possible patterns including isolated 1's in long strings of 0's and a number of other possible test cases.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.