The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 29th, 2024, 8:23am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
question about voltage regulator (Read 1830 times)
htshang

question about voltage regulator
Jul 13th, 2008, 12:31am

I met a problem about the voltage regulator. For a plane voltage regulator, we usually use an op-amp and a pmos (output stage) configuration to make negative feedback loop to get the regulated voltage. But why the regulator can regulate  voltage only on the condition that the voltage difference between the source and the drain of the output pmos was smaller than the threshold of the output transistor?
   In the simulation I used a pwl soure to model the source of pmos. I found  that the regulator lost its function when the source volatage exceed some value .
   I expect your help, thank you very much!!

View Profile 32623101   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Re: question about voltage regulator
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2008, 10:33pm

I think that a LDO will also work with vds of the power transistor well above threshold.
I recommend you to check the loop stability since that will change over different regions
of operation (load current, input voltage etc.)

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2008, 12:09am

htshang wrote on Jul 13th, 2008, 12:31am:
But why the regulator can regulate  voltage only on the condition that the voltage difference between the source and the drain of the output pmos was smaller than the threshold of the output transistor?
........I found  that the regulator lost its function when the source volatage exceed some value .

It would be much easyier to answer if you could give some figures.
Do you mean that the LDO regulates only if - for example - Vds=2 volts at Vgs= 3volts ?

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2008, 5:34pm

What you are describing is an LDO structure (PMOS as the pass transistor)

LDO devices vary over 30db in forward path gain as the PMOS transistor goes from saturation to triode region (a function of Vds)

That 30db needs to be taken care of in your control system model

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
htshang

Reply #4 - Jul 16th, 2008, 6:09am

First of all, thank you very much for all of the you.
Matybe I forgot to point out that the amplifier in my regulator is a current mode one. I do the ac analysis in closed-loop configuration, finding out the phasemargin is good. But when the voltagte difference between source(connect to positive power vext!, I use pwl source to simulate the power-up,for example :VVEXT!  vext!  gnd!  pwl(0 1 3u 5)) and drain(regulator output node)is bigger than threhold voltage(absolute value),then regulator output will track the vext! not stay to vref(regulator input voltage) anymore.
    In my opinion, when the voltage difference is bigger than threshold voltage, the current mode amplifier can not work properly as usual. If the amplifier is a voltage amp, then the matter will disappear. Just as Berti said--a LDO will also work with vds of the power transistor well above threshold.
'     For 'LDO devices vary over 30db in forward path gain as the PMOS transistor goes from saturation to triode region (a function of Vds)@loose-electron' I did not understand.

View Profile 32623101   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #5 - Jul 16th, 2008, 9:57am

htshang wrote on Jul 16th, 2008, 6:09am:
First of all, thank you very much for all of the you.
Matybe I forgot to point out that the amplifier in my regulator is a current mode one.  

Does this mean that your error amplifier has a current output which is connected to the gate of a MOSFET ??? Or did I misunderstand something ?

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #6 - Jul 16th, 2008, 10:30am

'     For 'LDO devices vary over 30db in forward path gain as the PMOS transistor goes from saturation to triode region (a function of Vds)@loose-electron' I did not understand.

Hi,

What he meant is that since the supply line you are regulating with the LDO can vary over a large range, the operating conditions for the LDO pass transistor could change from triode to saturation mode (triode when the supply line is close to the regulated line voltage, saturation when such voltages difference is large).

Consequently, since the LDO pass transistor is within the loop and the gain associated to its stage is a function of the operating condition, the loop gain can change as much as 30dB and this should be considered when analyzing stability.

Regards
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #7 - Jul 16th, 2008, 11:25pm

I also don't understand

Quote:
Matybe I forgot to point out that the amplifier in my regulator is a current mode one.

Do you use an OTA? Or are both input and output current-mode?

Cheers

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #8 - Jul 19th, 2008, 1:47pm

Tosei - Nicely stated - thanks for doing my follow up!  :) -- Jerry

HdrChopper wrote on Jul 16th, 2008, 10:30am:

Hi,

What he meant is that since the supply line you are regulating with the LDO can vary over a large range, the operating conditions for the LDO pass transistor could change from triode to saturation mode (triode when the supply line is close to the regulated line voltage, saturation when such voltages difference is large).

Consequently, since the LDO pass transistor is within the loop and the gain associated to its stage is a function of the operating condition, the loop gain can change as much as 30dB and this should be considered when analyzing stability.

Regards
Tosei

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
average

Reply #9 - Jul 27th, 2008, 8:27pm

Hi,
 do you check the body diode of pmos, maybe there is an leackage current at it .

average

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.