The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 29th, 2024, 8:23am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MOS Cap region of operation (Read 3365 times)
AnalogDE

MOS Cap region of operation
Jul 14th, 2008, 10:50pm

MOS Caps can either be operated in accumulation or inversion... What are the pros/cons of each?

View Profile   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Re: MOS Cap region of operation
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2008, 9:48pm

MOSCAP in inversion region is more stable with frequency and is lower in loss.

Accumulation region capacitance will reduce with higher frequency. Also the loss is higher.

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2008, 10:58pm

neoflash wrote on Aug 16th, 2008, 9:48pm:
MOSCAP in inversion region is more stable with frequency and is lower in loss.

Accumulation region capacitance will reduce with higher frequency. Also the loss is higher.

Hi neoflash,

I would have imagined the reverse to be true. Atleast the textbook model shows you 2 curves for the inversion region, the high-f and low-f ones, whereas for accumulation, this is not the case. Are you considering the losses due to the parasitic resistance etc. that come into play with the accumulation cap (which the textbook does not consider)?

Regards,
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
nano_RF
Community Member

madison
Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2008, 8:18am

Hi,

I am also of the opinion that in accumulation MOS cap is more stable then inversion mode.

About the loss not sure but I guess the bottom layer is a p-type (hole) conduction in accumulation as compared to  an electron conducive (NMOS Cap assumed) with electron reservoir (n+ regions) in inversion mode. So it could be lossy but still not positive though.

--

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.