The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 29th, 2024, 6:22am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
are there any method to modeling the ESD by using smartspice? (Read 1670 times)
average

are there any method to modeling the ESD by using smartspice?
Jul 15th, 2008, 7:54pm

Hi,everybody,
  are there any methods to modeling ESD by using smartspice or other tools , so that i can evaluate the reliability before it is fabricated !
                                                              average

View Profile   IP Logged
analogue_guy
Community Member

Re: are there any method to modeling the ESD by using smartspice?
Reply #1 - Aug 9th, 2008, 12:37pm

Hi,

you can model roughly your ESD protection if you know the characteristic of the clamping devices, but to my mind most of the time this is used just to check the effect of the protection to the other circuits... i would say not very useful.
ESD protection devices are very dependent on the layout and some of them depend on the fab also (e.g. if one technology is fabricated in two fabs, you won't get the same performance  :) ).
If you modified an original ESD protection layout (most of the cases that is the case...) and you know the characteristic of the original one (from measurements), then it is possible to predict the behaviour of the ESD protectionm, but it is not a short story, you need experience...

for ESD protection simulation technology simulators are used , like ATLAS... they can deliver quite good results, most of the cases.

br

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.