The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 29th, 2024, 4:16am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
improve LDO PSRR (Read 6338 times)
trashbox
Community Member

improve LDO PSRR
Aug 18th, 2008, 1:36am

Hi all guys,
I wanna design a high PSRR(-75dB) LDO (3.3v-->2.8v) with 3.3v device and the classic configuration is used: one stage nmos input pair error amplifier + a pmos (output stage).

However I found the PSRR at dc frequency is only -55dB. How to improve the PSRR performance? Thanks!

-- Trashbox

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Re: improve LDO PSRR
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2008, 3:22am

I think that you basically need to improve the gain of your error amplifier.

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2008, 8:02am

Hi Trashbox,

Berti is right. Basically the PSRR of your LDO is proportional to the loop gain which, for your topology is set by the error amplifier gain.

This is specially true at low frequencies, where parasitic components do not play a significant role in the PSRR performance. Certainly at very high frequencies the story will be different.

Regards
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
trashbox
Community Member

Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2008, 8:19am

Hi thechopper and Berti,
Thanks for your advice. I read a paper by Dr. Rincón-Mora from Gatech and he proposed a PSRR model for LDO which has the same conclusion.

View Profile   IP Logged
spanandiyer1979

Reply #4 - Nov 3rd, 2008, 7:59am

Hi Guys

Can you please take the time for answering my following queries regarding the LDO design:
1) I wanted a LDO design methodology for a low drop out regulator with an input voltage range of 2.8+/-10% , output voltage of 1.8V and a load current of 10mA to 50mA.i mean from the system specs , down to the amplifier specs etc.

2) How practical is it to design an LDO without an output capacitor.

thanks
anand

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.