The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 29th, 2024, 4:18am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Flicker noise coefficient for a given technology (Read 3008 times)
Tareeq

Flicker noise coefficient for a given technology
Sep 04th, 2008, 2:32am

Hi All,

[I am glad to write my first discussion on this forum, and I wish to all other members fruitful exchanges]

Imagine you'are a given a technology and you have to choose between Pmos or Nmos devices for the lowest generated flicker noise.

Furthermore, the power spectrum desnity of this noise if the form [K/(f.WL)].df  where f is the frequency and K a constant and is the parameter of interest.

I would like to know how to set-up a testbench that would extract the coefficient K for both Pmos and Nmos.

Thanks !

NB: Althought generally speaking pmos generate less flicker noise, the spirit in this discussion is to have get this quantified.

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: Flicker noise coefficient for a given technology
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2008, 8:55pm

Hi Tareeq,

If the SPICE model for the given technology has modeled flicker noise, it is enough to extract the coefficient K using a common-source single-transistor configuration. I will run AC+noise simulation.

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
nano_RF
Community Member

madison
Re: Flicker noise coefficient for a given technology
Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2008, 8:55pm

Hi Tareeq,

The easiest way is to read through your process manual and read off flicker noise modeling parameter from therein. From there it will depend on whether its modeled BSIM or SPICE.

Just to get a feel of it you can do simple pnoise analysis using different device flavor and varying their aspect ratio. Then you can look at their flicker noise contribution.

Now whether PMOS is less noisier then NMOS totally depnds on the process technology. In some process PMOS is burried channel device and so less flicker noise contibutor (assuming gate interface defects was the main contributor). But you may have a process where PMOS and NMOS flicker noise is very much comparable.

Hope it helps.

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.