The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 29th, 2024, 6:20am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ring oscillator (Read 6830 times)
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
ring oscillator
Sep 05th, 2008, 2:59am

hi ,
    can any body please explain why ring oscillator with even inverters will latch at dc only.I found some techniques to avoid latching at dc and make it oscillate .But my question is it has two stable points one is at dc ,another is at some frequency .Then which one is the operating frequency.
THANK YOU

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
nano_RF
Community Member

madison
Re: ring oscillator
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2008, 10:19am

raja.cedt wrote on Sep 5th, 2008, 2:59am:
hi ,
    can any body please explain why ring oscillator with even inverters will latch at dc only.I found some techniques to avoid latching at dc and make it oscillate .But my question is it has two stable points one is at dc ,another is at some frequency .Then which one is the operating frequency.
THANK YOU

Hi,

This is pretty easy to visualize. Just take an Example of two inverter configuration. Start out with logic 0 at INV1 input --> this gives a logic 1 at INV2 input --> this gives a logic 0 at INV2 output and feded back to INV1 input which was already sitting at logic 0. So nothing fancy about it. It will latch to DC level due to complete 360 / 0 phase shift.

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2008, 12:19pm

raja.cedt wrote on Sep 5th, 2008, 2:59am:
  But my question is it has two stable points one is at dc ,another is at some frequency .Then which one is the operating frequency.
THANK YOU

No, it has NOT two stable points. Only from the pure mathematical/theoretical point of view you can define two signals (one with zero Hz and one with a period)  which fulfill the input-output conditions, however only one of both leads in reality to a stable condition - and that´s f=0. After power switch-on the circuit has no reason to try another operating condition than at zero Hz.
We have same situation in pure analog/linear amplifiers: When you have an opamp with positive feedback (for low frequencies) there always will be a frequency which enables a negative feedback situation (for higher frequencies), but this second situation leads never to a stable operating point.
Another example is a circuit consisting of an opamp with suitable gain and a notch-filter. Although there is a frequency which theoretically can fulfill the oscillation condition, the circuit will never oscillate but will go, instead, into saturation.
(I hope I was able to express myself clear enough).
Regards

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #3 - Sep 7th, 2008, 11:23pm

I think that for the ring oscillator, the solution at some frequency might well be stable. However, very special initial conditions are required to reach this state, so in practice the ring oscillator will always latch to the dc solution.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2008, 11:08pm

hi
i agree with franks  answer.but my question is how can you say it will latch at dc.Means it has two operating frequencies .It can choose any thing out of two. while starting of oscillations noise contains all frequencies so is there any chance of operating  at that frequency rather than dc.

Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #5 - Sep 8th, 2008, 11:37pm

I don't think that noise will be of much help in starting a ring oscillator with an even number of stages. The latched state at dc is very stable and the circuit will converge to this state from almost all initial conditions, so a small amount of noise is unlikely to change this.

Just try for yourself if you find any way to start up such an oscillator in simulation (for example by turning on the power in a certain way or by applying external pulses). It will probably be extremely difficult and it won't be any easier with a physical circuit.

To reliably start up an oscillator, you have to make the dc state unstable. A possible way to do this is shown in http://www.uni-stuttgart.de/int/institut/mitarbeiter/MA_Publikationen/groezing/2....

raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #6 - Sep 9th, 2008, 1:37am

hi frank,
             i am happy with your answer but
1.how can u say that dc is very stable may be because of high loop gain towards  dc
2.lets say oscillations  start at very high frequency (because of noise )so it will try to reach dc or low frequency mean while does it latch to second operating frequency?

3.Is there any advantage of even inverter ring oscillator when compared to odd inverter ring oscillator?

Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #7 - Sep 9th, 2008, 7:18am

I don't know how to prove analytically my statement that most initial conditions will converge towards the dc state, but if you just try for yourself as I suggested, you will quickly see that it is true.

As mentioned in the article, one of the advantages of a ring oscillator with an even number of stages is that you can get quadrature signals from it.

Tlaloc
Community Member

Dallas, TX
Reply #8 - Sep 10th, 2008, 8:54pm

Quote:
2.lets say oscillations  start at very high frequency (because of noise )so it will try to reach dc or low frequency mean while does it latch to second operating frequency?

I find this very unlikely.  If you ever reach the f=0 state, what could drive you out it?  Remember that you have one transistor off with the other acting as a switch in every inverter.  The noise would have to be so strong that it would have to jar the these devices out of their bias state.  This could only be a large signal source such as capacitive coupling of other switching signals nearby, not any thermal noise.

The only way that I could visualize a stable oscillation (with only a single feedback loop) is to have two pulse trains moving through the inverter chain at the same time, only delayed by each other.  If you kick-started the first train by a one-shot, for example, that one-shot would have to release the starting point before the first train came to the end of the chain.  If this condition is met, then you would then have two pulse trains going, out-of-phase and delayed from each other.  If the first train came to the end before you released the one-shot, the chain would be DC stable again, and no oscillations would result.

If what I described is accurate, than the design of the one-shot could be quite tricky.  Why bother when an odd numbered chain starts so reliably with only one pulse train going through it (half the power)?

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #9 - Sep 11th, 2008, 11:16am

Some items here:

1. Configuration: A ring structure with an even number of inverters in the ring is NOT an oscillator. Instead, it is a two state latched structure. Thats true for 2,4,6,8...... inverters.

2. Bias point vs. oscillation: For a ring structure with 3,5,7,9.... inverters, in a simulation it will generally find (and stay at) a VDD/2 steady state point and not oscillate with everything ideal. A quick fix for this is to put an IC (IC! not nodeset!) on one node in the ring at 0V or VDD, and that will get things started. In Ken K's book (desingers guide to spice and spectre) whats going on here gets covered in more detail.

3. A single inverter, in a ring configuration is not a ring oscillator, or a latch, it's two diode connected MOS devices connected between power and ground. Look at the circuit down at the transistor level and it will become evident there.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #10 - Sep 11th, 2008, 7:40pm

I agree with loose-electron...and in few words

even number --> bistable multivibrator circuit: its name indicates it will be stable in either of the two possible states that can be externally forced.

odd number --> astable mutivibrator circuit: the name indicates is not stable in any of the two possible states, so it constantly switches between those two --> oscillator.

Cheers
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.