The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 29th, 2024, 4:21am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
opamp (Read 3278 times)
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
opamp
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:53am

hi,
   i have designed a  two stage op amp with 1v supply in 65nm tech.
   input common mode voltage=0.4 to 0.7
   output bias point =0.5(swings from .2 to .9 )
now i connected in  non inverting configuration  with gain 3 then it is saturating because of output swing limitation(actually op amp trying to go 1.2  because non inverting input i gave .4 as bias )  means op amp is trying to amplify both signal as well as bias. Is there any method to subtract bias voltage in the feed back  so that we can get wide range of gains
thanks

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
aidnaal

Re: opamp
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2008, 5:07am

Hi,
Could you please send the schematic of the circuit (non inverting configuration)?

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2008, 7:26pm

It sounds to me you are connecting the feedback resistors to DC GND rather than an AC ground whose DC bias point should be the same as the input common mode.
In this way you will not amplify the bias point and will take advantage of the output dynamic range.
This is the only way a non-inverting amplifier can work without amplifying the DC operating point. Otherwise you will have to use an inverting configuration

Regards
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2008, 3:42am

hi Tosei,
          thanks for your answer.but how to give that bias.if you do some bias generation circuitry then it will directlly come with feedback network and all most all bias circuits are active networks.So the greatness in feedback  networks is output is accurately  defined by feedback passive elements now output is not accurately defined.
        How inverting amp will help in this regard.There also we have to give bias for non inverting pin rather than dc ground.

Thank you.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2008, 7:42pm

Hi

In order to make it work without amplifying the bias circuit you have to separate the bias from the signal to be amplified. Otherwise you will amplify the DC bias input voltage. See the drawing for reference

Tosei

Drawing1_001.jpg

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.