The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 29th, 2024, 4:21am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help! A puzzlement about noise sampling & reconstruction. (Read 2247 times)
greatqs

Help! A puzzlement about noise sampling & reconstruction.
Oct 12th, 2008, 12:57am

a bandlimit white noise x(t) with PSD of S0 is sampled (no aliasing) to produce x[n]. The PSD of x[n] is calculated to be S0/Ts (Ts is the sample period).
Now I just reconstruct the continuous noise xr(t) by passing x[n] impulses to the ideal reconstruction filter (gain=Ts, -fs<f<fs). The output PSD is calculated to be S0/Ts*Ts^2=S0*Ts. There is an offset from the input noise PSD by a ratio of Ts!
There must be some scaling error in above statement because ideal sampling and reconstructing a bandlimit white noise should produce itself. Please correct me!! Thanks!!

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Re: Help! A puzzlement about noise sampling & reconstruction.
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2008, 9:07am

Hi,

The PSD of x[n] must be scaled by 1/Ts^2, not 1/Ts. The reason being that you have to consider the modulus of the square of the "transfer function" of your system.  Ideal sampling can be modeled by a train of impulses equally spaced in time.
Squaring the Fourier transform of the impulses (the same way you square the reconstruction filter transfer function) gives you the sampled PSD scaled by 1/Ts^2.
Therefore the scale factor cancells out after reconstruction

Regards
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
greatqs

Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2008, 5:12pm

HdrChopper wrote on Oct 12th, 2008, 9:07am:
Hi,

The PSD of x[n] must be scaled by 1/Ts^2, not 1/Ts. The reason being that you have to consider the modulus of the square of the "transfer function" of your system.  Ideal sampling can be modeled by a train of impulses equally spaced in time.
Squaring the Fourier transform of the impulses (the same way you square the reconstruction filter transfer function) gives you the sampled PSD scaled by 1/Ts^2.
Therefore the scale factor cancells out after reconstruction

Regards
Tosei

A lot of thanks to your input! Tosei.
For the scaling in sampling the continuous-time noise into discrete-time noise sequence using ideal impulse sampling, you can look at  eq. 10.50, pp731, A.V Oppenheim's "Discrete-time signal processing" 2nd edition.
There is only 1/Ts scaling between the two domain's PSD not 1/Ts^2.
The reason is that discrete-time PSD can be regard as DTFT of the sampling of the autocorrelation function of continuous-time noise.

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2008, 6:50pm

Hi,

I'm sorry but I do not have that book at hand.

I have another reference ("Random signals"  Shanmugan-Breipohl, p. 195 ) where it is clearly stated that
Sxsxs (f) = 1/Ts^2× ΣSxx (f-kxfs)

where Sxsxs is the sampled PSD, fs the sampling frequency and the summatory goes from -∞ to ∞

I agree the discrete time PSD can be seen as the DTFT of the sampling of the autocorrelation function of the continuous-time noise, but the later scaled by 1/Ts

In other words

Rxsxs (τ) = 1/Ts× ΣRxx (kTs)

Hpe this helps
Tosei
Sxsxs = 1/Ts^2× ΣSxx

However

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.