The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 29th, 2024, 6:21am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
differential pair offset (Read 3794 times)
PalmRunner

differential pair offset
Oct 14th, 2008, 1:54am

Hello all,
I am writing my first post in this useful forum starting with a question. Here is the background:

I need to design a simple continuous time comparator, so I started with the basic two stage comparator described in the Allen/Holberg book. I use Spectre Monte Carlo analysis to simulate the offset. Here are the 1 sigma results with different aspect ratio of the input pair, but same area:

W/L           1 sigma
-----------------------
4/5      ->  1.59mV
10/2    ->  1.39mV
20/1    ->  1.35mV
40/0.5 ->  1.34mV

My intuition tells me that longer transistors or those biased in a strong inversion should exhibit less random / delta Vt mismatch, as it is in a current mirror for example. The question is why I get just the opposite effect here?
Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

------------
I know enough to know I don't know enough.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: differential pair offset
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2008, 3:23am

I don't know the answer for your question but one conceptual correction to your discussion is variations is ∝1/√(w*L). so according to this pilgrims model offset for your all samples should same.but i don't know how they came like that
Thanks

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
PalmRunner

Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2008, 4:44am

In my understanding, the operating point should also influence the spread, not only the transistor area. For example, larger Vgs overdrive basically has a positive effect on the Ids spread, while it seems to be the opposite for a differential pair.

------------
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2008, 5:47am

Hi,

If i remember correctly, there is nothing wrong with your simulation. According to the analysis in Razavi's analog IC design book, offset actually increases with overdrive for a differential pair.

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
PalmRunner

Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2008, 10:13am

Thanks Aaron, I found the chapter in Razavi’s book. I follow the equations, but honestly I am still having hard times to grasp what is behind. Why lowering the Vgs-Vt would help us to reduce the offset. In my understanding low overdrive voltage would make the input pair more sensitive to Vt variations, which in turn would reflect in larger current variations. Obviously I am missing something very basic. Can someone help me with somewhat more intuitive explanation?

------------
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2008, 11:28am

Hi

One possible explanantion could be related to the offset contribution from your active load. The larger the input pair gm, the less contribution from the load to the total input diff pair. This is what you are getting out of your simulation.

Hope this helps
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.