The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 29th, 2024, 2:17am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FIB operation on a 1GHz signal (Read 1958 times)
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

FIB operation on a 1GHz signal
Oct 17th, 2008, 8:38am

Hi,

Recently I have been debugging a design on 0.13um process.

One bug requires cutting and reconnecting (12um) a signal running at 1-2 GHz. This signal is on a timing path.

I would like to know more about the potential impact of FIB operation on the performance of propagation delay?

Thanks,
Neo

View Profile   IP Logged
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Re: FIB operation on a 1GHz signal
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2008, 10:55am

The FIB have a specific sheet resistance which is in between metal and poly. So the RC-delay impact increases.

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Re: FIB operation on a 1GHz signal
Reply #2 - Nov 11th, 2008, 1:10pm

Hi Neo,

Conducting material is usually platinum or tungsten, the latter being 2x less resistive, though still 3x more than Cu. Notice the deposition for longer stripes is done in several steps, which again increases resistivity.

I am a designer, not a FIB guy, but I would guess that at best you might get some samples operating at the desired speed, but the FIB yield at these frequencies might not be tremendous. At least, talk to your FIB guys before proceeding, they should know better what you can expect based on the actual case (how deep do they have to mill before getting to the desired wire, how large is the wire to contact, etc...).

This might not be critical to you, but FIB usually also comes with some leakage in the milling region.

Regards
Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.